Talk

Advanced search

Am I doing the right thing?

(3 Posts)
Piplin Sat 06-Apr-13 15:01:17

I have an 11day old. Bf going well, however although I feel he is having a good feed, he doesn't take a full breast, I have offered him the other breast but he really isn't interested, and either just looks around or has fallen asleep.
I often feel engorged and uncomfortable and needing to pump. Is this the right thing to do? I am trying to avoid mastitis but in doing so stimulating milk production.
Ds1 was a comfort sucker and was always on me I felt I didn't produce enough for him, where as ds2 will quite happily feed every 2-3 1/2 hours, sometimes he needs waking up! Producing lots of wet and dirty nappies and only lost 10g from his birth weight, so I'm assuming he is getting enough food.

Emilythornesbff Sat 06-Apr-13 15:08:28

It sounds as though he's getting enough milk if he has yellow poo and lots of wet nappies and is happy between feeds.
My dd rarely Feds from both breasts.
It takes a while to establish the supply for bany's demand so feeling "unemptied" is not abnormal in these early days. Just keep alert for feeding cues.once you start expressing it increases your supply so watch out for signs of engorgement and mastitis.

Piplin Sun 07-Apr-13 07:37:37

Thank you I was quite thankful of the extra milk this morning when he vomited everywhere!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now