Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to get back to bf?

(6 Posts)
popcorner Sat 06-Apr-13 08:10:49

My DD2 is booked for a revision of her tongue tie snip on Tuesday. She is now 20 weeks, the initial snip was 2 weeks ago. Her feeding started to improve gradually during the first week post snip - was absolutely delighted!
However we ran into some difficulties over the Easter weekend when she started to refuse to latch. She has been feeding on and off from me ever since so have ended up giving her em and formula, seem to be giving her more and more bottles as time passes.
I would really like to get back to the majority of her feeds being from me, is this possible and how do I go about it?
I am currently expressing a couple of times a day, she always has a breastfeed at some point during the night. Generally her refusal to latch gets worse as the day goes on, but we have had days where she just comes on for a few sucks then turns away.
I am beginning to loose confidence in my ability to make this work, does anyone have any experiences or suggestions?

Welovegrapes Sat 06-Apr-13 08:15:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 06-Apr-13 09:29:49

My dd1 went on nursing strike for about 8 weeks at roughly the same age as your dd2. our issue was over supply and forceful letdown rather than tongue tie I expressed and gave her bm in a bottle for this time. Eventually she did start breast feeding again, and self weaned at 18mths.

Have you tried different positions? I also used to sit in a warm bath with her, (to get the milk flowing) and encourage her to feed.
For a long time, just looking at my boobs made her cry, but I spent alot of time alone with her with them out for her to touch, and made no attempt to feed her, which I think helped to build her confidence up again.

popcorner Sat 06-Apr-13 17:27:52

Thank you welove will have a look at those links, hadn't really thought of it as a nursing strike - but it make sense now you have mentioned it!

frustrated I am in awe of your determination! I have tried to do some skin to skin with her, but it as just made her cross - it s pretty cold up here so I can hardly blame her.

Thank you again

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 06-Apr-13 17:52:21

yeah, the cold doesnt help. Have you tried bathing with her? That might be a bit warmer. Or have her dressed.
I used to try it midfeed or after a feed, so dd wasnt hungry which took the pressure of both of us. It was slow going from screaming at the sight of them, to stroking and eventually mouthing them, before we got back to feeding.
I think it was sheer bloody determination on my part. dd is also very stubborn
But I just wanted to let you know that it is possible.

popcorner Sun 07-Apr-13 05:02:41

Thank you, have been utterly devastated that things haven't been working out this time around. I had such a lovely experience bf DD1, was so looking forward to doing it all again. Just need to find the strength to keep fighting - so hard to compete with a bottle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now