Talk

Advanced search

Ff - go by age or weight

(7 Posts)
orderinformation Fri 05-Apr-13 21:54:17

Ds is 3 months but the weight of a 5-6 month old baby according to box of formula. He's long and sturdy rather than plump so not eating too much I don't think. Should I go by his age or weight in how much to give him?

(in practice I let him lead, but I like to know whether he is having more or less than recommended)

breatheslowly Fri 05-Apr-13 22:05:00

If you go by weight the you need to be careful as the box amounts for agess over 6 months will assume that the baby is being weaned so will be getting something other than milk, whereas your baby won't have this additional intake along side his milk. How much is he having and how does that compare to using age or weight recommended amounts? I wouldn't worry about it either way - as long as you are demand feeding him and not doing that thing some parents do of jiggling their baby to get the last oz into them when the baby actually doesn't want more.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 05-Apr-13 22:06:08

I would go by what he drinks! I've FF two babies...both DDs were bottle fed and I never considered their weight at all. I just fed when they asked. They are excellent self regulators.

ilovepowerhoop Fri 05-Apr-13 22:07:53

the general rule of thumb is roughly 2.5-2.7oz per lb of body weight but of course some babies may take more or less than that

orderinformation Fri 05-Apr-13 22:18:18

He is 14 weeks and 7.5kg (4.4kg at birth). He rarely finishes a feed and I never force it. He gets 150ml per feed (box recommends 210ml for his weight but I've not bought bigger bottles yet) and usually finishes this once or twice a day and the rest of the time leaves 30-60ml. He is mix fed though so also has bf especially at night. In fact at night I give only bf.

orderinformation Fri 05-Apr-13 22:18:47

Also he never throws up after which I think probably means not overfed.

breatheslowly Fri 05-Apr-13 22:20:16

If you are mixed feeding then there is no point worrying about the volume of formula he is getting as you can't measure the BM. Also if he leaves some regularly then it probably is the right amount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now