Talk

Advanced search

Feels like thrush but doc isn't sure...?

(8 Posts)
orangebuccaneer Fri 05-Apr-13 19:33:06

DC is 6wks old. EBF. Eats a lot: putting on about 2oz a day.

For the last week or two I've been having a hot tingly pain behind my nipples. It's not painful per se, rather noticeable. Mainly behind my left nipple but also my right. Not just when I'm feeding: it's also randomly throughout the day. Seems to get better if I go bra-less (not a lot of fun since a) they're huge, and b) they're leaky...;) ).

There's no sign of thrush in DC's mouth: there's some nappy rash but the two doctors we've seen can't agree on whether it's fungal or not.

We've been using a cream for a few days but it doesn't really seem to be doing much, so now we're going to try a pill. The doctor isn't convinced that it's thrush but isn't sure what else it could be (DC is gaining weight well so unlikely to be my latch etc).

Any ideas?

noblegiraffe Fri 05-Apr-13 19:39:45

Is it the let down reflex? I get a tingly feeling too when I'm having a letdown - when it happens my boobs start leaking if I'm not feeding.

McBaby Fri 05-Apr-13 19:58:16

I would agree with possible let down, is i found be be ab uncomfortable sonethings painful tingling, i also fond breast goes a bit harder.

Thrush is painful and burns! Mine always started on one side the was bad thrush on both sides. My LO never had symptoms but the burning pain eased with the cream in a couple of days.

I would also read about the fluconozole thrush tablets on BFN website as there are some questions over the levels reaching the baby being too high. Especially if it is being used without docs thinking it really is thrush.

orangebuccaneer Fri 05-Apr-13 20:03:25

I don't think it's let-down (I BF my first baby for a year so am quite experienced in what it feels like), although maybe it's my boobs preparing to let down and then stopping for some reason? That might be it: I am feeding a huge amount at the moment, so maybe my boobs are over-primed..

I'll look up the fluconozole tablets debate: thanks.

noblegiraffe Fri 05-Apr-13 20:07:19

How long does it last for? Could you check when it happens whether you start leaking, as a hot tingly pain behind the nipple is exactly what it feels like to me!

orangebuccaneer Fri 05-Apr-13 20:09:31

Only lasts for a few seconds at a time and then goes away.

Next time it happens I'll check that there's no leakage: could well be a tiny amount that I'm not noticing...

noblegiraffe Fri 05-Apr-13 20:19:32

Or if it's during feeding, does the baby switch from sucking to gulping as they are getting more milk?

Here's the breastfeeding network info on diagnosing thrush and fluconozole, if I were you I'd be reluctant to take it without a swab confirming thrush.

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/dibm/Thrush_and_Breastfeeding_Feb_2013.pdf

orangebuccaneer Fri 05-Apr-13 22:46:04

Baby does switch from sucking to gulping yes: I have lots of milk so I think he gets lots. Sometimes maybe too much - I have to be careful to stop him choking sometimes.

I'm now getting a shooting pain in my armpit, making me think it's a clogged duct - just what I need before a busy weekend.... BF this time around is proving a lot trickier than with #1!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now