Advanced search

BF and day surgery. What best to do?

(8 Posts)
spekulatius Thu 04-Apr-13 12:35:27

Just had a phone call from hospital to say they've booked me in for this Saturday to have gallbladder taken out. Got to be there 7.30. I bf my 4months old dd. Not sure wether to take her with me until I actually have the surgery (keyhole) or leave her with someone? She drinks every 1-2 hours day and night at the moment so there is no way I could express but don't really want her to have formula all day. A bit thrown by this, thought we would get a letter and have more time to prepare. My husband was going to take a week off work but won't be able to now at short notice. That means he will come home from a night shift Saturday morning. Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did you do?

FadBook Thu 04-Apr-13 13:04:03

I had a ERPC (old D&C) when DD was 12 weeks old due to retained placenta.

We couldn't get DD on a bottle, tried everything, didn't happen. So we winged it (not what you want to hear) but hear me out as it ends well grin

They wouldn't let her in on the ward at all, as it was day surgery and they said that the risk of infections / germs etc were not a good place for a new born sad, therefore, she came to the carpark at 6.55am and I fed her then, she then went back with my DP and my DM came with me on the ward.

DP had plenty of expressed milk, various bottles and syringes too. She also was a 1-2 hour feeding baby so was holding out because I wasn't there. She took one when DP offered it at 10am (3 hours from last feed) She didn't take the full amount, but enough to keep her going.

I went on the ward and had my op at around 9am and I explicitly spoke to the aneathisist (sp) and told him I was feeding so he didn't "knock" me out too much (if that is possible) he used as little as he could get away with and I requested no painkillers until I came round and could determine how much pain I was in.

I came around within 20 minutes of being put to sleep and stopped on the ward for a further 3 hours (their request) I was ready to sign myself out but they let me go under strict instruction to call if there was a problem. I was home by 2.30pm and DD had taken another 2oz of my milk at 1pm (another 3 hours gap)

I fed her on my return home and then we both slept for a few hours that afternoon in bed together. I got away with co-codomaol and ibruprofen painkillers rather than anything stronger.

[[ BFN link to factsheet] on BF'ing and GA's - good read; DD was a little sleepy in the afternoon after that first feed, but it suited us and I was better then to be able to look after her (retained placenta being quite serious, I had to have the op!)

Looking back, we could have got away with her coming in the hospital and in to the ward because I had a room on my own (ERPC is normally for women who have retained products from miscarriage sad so they give the women their own room). Alternatively, she could have been fed in the corridor if they wouldn't let her on the ward.

chloeb2002 Fri 05-Apr-13 22:12:39

They must have a waiting room? I'd get should to sit with her there and bring her in to feed as and when he can.. Top up if she will with ebm. My dc all refused to feed when I first went back to work.. They all survived 10hours. Then slowly wised up. I also work shifts(nurse) dh will get friendly with the coffee machine for a day! Ask if they will admit bub as a baby boarder too. Breast fed in what should be a breast feeding friendly hospital.. They could also lend you a pump to "relieve" your self

Weezie85 Sat 06-Apr-13 09:34:50

You will need someone to help when you get home. I expressed some and DH had formula, it isn't a big deal for a day. DD didn't actually drink much till I got home but it was hard lifting her on and off me and out of crib on my own. I had the same surgery in January. Can you ask them to postpone till your DH can take the time off?

Weezie85 Sat 06-Apr-13 09:35:24

I also wasn't allowed to bring DD in to the waiting room.

Angelico Sat 06-Apr-13 16:49:38

Hope you got on okay OP. Just spotted this today, I had ERPOC at 8 weeks after baby born. She came with me to the hospital, they put us in a side room and were super supportive. I was able to feed her before and after the surgery, no need to pump and dump. Like you I had no real warning so no time to express etc.

spekulatius Wed 17-Apr-13 09:57:35

Only just saw all the replies. Well, I phoned up the ward and asked what patients with bf babies. They said they have to accommodate that. So we got there at 7.15 and they had a side room and cot for us. She had half a bottle of formula while I was gone but rest of the time I fed her. Bit awkward with gown but we managed. We co slept for first week so I didn't have to lift her too much put DH in spare bedroom so he could sleep properly and help me during day until he had to go back to work Monday night.
Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Angelico Wed 17-Apr-13 09:59:45

Glad it all went well OP smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: