Talk

Advanced search

My milk tastes soapy, what do I do please?

(11 Posts)
whoopwhoopbib Wed 03-Apr-13 19:12:46

I have returned to work this week and have been leaving ebm for dd. She hasn't drunk much of it so I tried some tonight and it was as if I had taken a bite out of a bar of soap! No wonder she hasn't had much of it blush .

I know it can be heat treated but how do I do this and is it ok to do to milk I have expressed in the day and stored in the fridge until I get home?

I really want her to continue having it throughout the day so any advice is greatly appreciated.

DoingItForMyself Wed 03-Apr-13 19:20:50

I always thought mine was odd, soapy and a bit peppery even, but DCs seemed happy with it! But never out of a bottle, only straight from me. I suspect its the bottle not the milk that's putting her off.

McBaby Wed 03-Apr-13 20:11:41

In the same situation and hoping for some suggestions! Have always wondered why my LO sud not want to drink out of cup or bottle! I only discovered this yesterday at 7.5 months!

McBaby Wed 03-Apr-13 20:12:50

I think it starts to taste worse and worse from the time you express.

openerofjars Wed 03-Apr-13 20:14:38

It is lipids (fats) in the milk. Mine did this for DS but weirdly not for DD. The Kellymom website has some great advice here:

kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/lipase-expressedmilk/

PseudoBadger Wed 03-Apr-13 20:14:40

Has it been frozen?

minipie Wed 03-Apr-13 20:20:10

sounds like you have excess lipase

you need to scald the milk very soon after it's expressed, before it starts to taste bad. once it's started to taste bad, scalding wont fix it. the scalding deactivates the lipase

the length of time before it tastes bad varies from woman to woman - you need to taste yours at 4, 8, 12 etc hours to find out how long yours stays good for. when you get home may or may not be too late.

scalding is heating until bubbles form round the edge, then remove from heat. ie nearly but not quite boil. I think I have read about women scalding milk at work using an electric bottle warmer.

it's a total pain.

whoopwhoopbib Wed 03-Apr-13 20:52:05

just conducted my own bm experiment I have just expressed so tried a small amount of that and it tastes fine, then tried the milk that was expressed yesterday and has been in the fridge and it is disgustingly soapy!!

I am really upset by this as dd drank my milk fine in nov/dec when I went out a couple of times so it must have been ok then. I won't be able to scald at work so I don't know what to do now am feeling a bit sad .

Welovegrapes Wed 03-Apr-13 21:28:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Welovegrapes Wed 03-Apr-13 21:32:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whoopwhoopbib Wed 03-Apr-13 22:19:22

Thank you for both of those links, I have had a read and scalding doesn't sound as bad as I thought. I only have 30 mins in which to express and eat my lunch so I dpn't think it will be something I can do at work.

I am going to try my milk again before I go to bed and again in the night when I get up to feed to see how it tastes. One of the links said they tried their baby with freshly expressed milk so I will try that tomorrow as well.

I know dd is 1 so can have cows milk etc but I really would prefer her to continue with bm if possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now