Talk

Advanced search

2 week old baby projectile vomited and now won't eat, I'm very stressed, any advice?

(31 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Apr-13 22:04:29

I am probably being silly but it was very scary as he just projectile vomited twice all over the place sad poor little thing. I know I am probably being a bit PFB...

He is bottle fed and I am so worried it is due to a silly mix up this afternoon between a sterilised and an unsterilised bottle. If so have I done real harm?

Other explanation is that he had a very long car journey this afternoon and may be unsettled? Jolted around and stored up a bug gas bubble? He is a very windy baby in general.

He is not interested in another bottle now though so I am very worried it is the unsterilised bottle thing (fwiw I really don't think we mixed up the bottles but am getting paranoid).

Either way I don't know what to do and am getting very worried and stressed , I am by myself tonight and feel panicky.

Any advice at all?

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 02-Apr-13 22:09:21

I definitely think it's a bug unless the bottle was seriously old and manky. Either way I would contact OOH if the bottle refusal and vomiting continues. Teaspoons of rehydration fluid every fifteen minutes and keep an eye on temperature.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 02-Apr-13 22:10:36

FWIW I remember the bottle refusal, sickness and being alone with a newborn. Don't be afraid to seek help if you are at all uncomfortable with the situation. Is there anyone in real life you can call?

Jayne266 Tue 02-Apr-13 22:14:39

My DS has just had this (although he's older) and I had to offer a bottle at least every hour. But speak to ooh and they will give you some advice.

FattyMcChubster Tue 02-Apr-13 22:16:50

If you are worried, get help. That's what they're there for. They will not think you're wasting time. It's better to be safe than sorry.

holidaysdistantmemory Tue 02-Apr-13 22:18:35

My ds used to projectile vomit all the time when he has too much milk (I think I over fed him) quite impressively, sometimes hitting the wall on the other side of room. Or sometimes caused by wind and bringing up his feed at same time. If he however seems poorly, take him to docs or hospital. Good luck x

emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Apr-13 22:19:38

Sorry am being dim, what is OOH?

willyoulistentome Tue 02-Apr-13 22:21:21

Just a hand hold. I can remember how scary that sort of thing was with a tiny pfb. He'll be absolutely fine.

willyoulistentome Tue 02-Apr-13 22:22:01

Out of hours doc.

geekette Tue 02-Apr-13 22:22:28

OOH -out of hours (night doc basically )

emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Apr-13 22:24:06

Thank you by the way everyone I really appreciate it.
Called my mum which made me feel a bit better.
When should I try to start rehydration fluid if he doesn't take a bottle soon? Do I give it a few more hours? And just sips from a spoon?
He seems very sleepy now but then he has been very wake most of the afternoon after a very long car ride earlier in the pm.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Apr-13 22:24:42

Of course, out of hours, am being very dozy sorry!!

BeaWheesht Tue 02-Apr-13 22:26:02

See how he is in an hour or so - if no improvement or he gets worse give OOH a call.

Fwiw dd did this at 2 weeks and I got it checked - wasn't a bug but was the start of reflux. Was scary but not dangerous.

Is his temp ok? Weeing? Responsive? Fontanelle normal? No rash?

BeaWheesht Tue 02-Apr-13 22:27:17

Personally I wouldn't give a tiny baby rehydration powders without seeing a GP, however if you do remember it needs to be with cooled boiled water.

Jalopeno Tue 02-Apr-13 22:28:28

I was advised by my HV to bring my baby to hospital when she projectiles vomited at that age.

noblegiraffe Tue 02-Apr-13 22:28:41

If he has only just been sick, was it straight after a feed? If so, it could just be wind or a bit of over feeding. Sometimes it looks like a lot of sick but isn't actually that much and he doesn't want another bottle because he has just fed.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Apr-13 22:30:42

It was about fifteen mins after a feed... He fed quite slowly compared to normal and didn't finish a whole bottle

MyCoilPicksUpGaydar Tue 02-Apr-13 22:31:58

I'd take a baby that age to the doctor, tbh. I had the same with ds, when he was tiny... GP said there was probably nothing wrong but that at that age they're so tiny it's better safe than sorry. They won't think you're wasting their time, even if it turns out to be nothing.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Apr-13 22:37:30

Should I go to the doctor right now or wait til morning!

MyCoilPicksUpGaydar Tue 02-Apr-13 22:39:24

I'd ring the ooh now, and see what they say. Once you've got through the 111 nonsense, you can usually speak to a doctor there.

BeaWheesht Tue 02-Apr-13 22:40:59

I'd call them now

emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Apr-13 22:44:59

Ok have just got DH on the phone and he thinks I'm being over anxious... Think he is trying to make me feel better btw and not being callous!! He thinks I should wait a bit and see if he (baby) manages/wants anything in a couple of hours and if not then call the doctor... Is he being silly? He thinks doctor will just say to try another feed as only one has not stayed down so far

BeaWheesht Tue 02-Apr-13 22:48:28

Your Dh thinks pretty much same as what originally said. Are all other signs normal?

MyCoilPicksUpGaydar Tue 02-Apr-13 22:48:49

If it were me, I'd still ring ooh now - chances are it's nothing, but if it is, a baby that age can dehydrate pretty fast... and if you ring the doctor and they just say try another feed and wait a bit, you've lost nothing, have you smile

emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Apr-13 22:53:14

He seems normal in that he is now sleeping quite happily, stirring ccasionally as normal but not waking up yet. He was quite upset by the vomiting but prior to that was fine he just ate the last feed slowly.

How quickly can a newborn dehydrate???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now