Talk

Advanced search

BF at 14 months? when and how much?

(8 Posts)
mumnosbest Tue 02-Apr-13 21:15:25

We're still happily bf at 14 months and will continue untill dd wants to stop. When i work she is happy to just bf in the evening and night. During school hols while im home she bfs about 4 times in the day and a few times through the night (still cosleeping).

When does your dc bf and how often?
Any experiences of babies stopping bf on their own and at what age?

Im in no rush to stop just curious
TIA

FadBook Tue 02-Apr-13 21:53:12

There's a couple of similar threads on here at the minute - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding/1717966-When-did-you-give-up-Breastfeeding-and-why - this is a good one

DD is 20 months. Feeds more when I'm around and isn't fussed when I'm not. Morning feed is the main one that she won't drop. She dropped bed time and late night one in the last 8 weeks.

Babies tend to self wean between the age of 18 months and 7 years. The average age being around 3 years (I can't find the link to this statistic but Kellymom Stats have lots of info.

mumnosbest Wed 03-Apr-13 09:44:56

Thanks. I'll have a look at these links. 7 years! Hopefully she'll self-wean a little before then smile I think the night feeds are my only issue (if any). I'd like to get my bed back but can't bare the thought of waking up and getting out of bed so cosleeping is easier at the moment.
Thanks for your reply.

FadBook Wed 03-Apr-13 12:17:29

We night weaned at 13 months using Dr jay Gordon's method. I'm on my phone so can't link but google him and his blog will come up; it's very gentle and can be effective for babies after 12 months, and they'll still feeding up on waking and going to bed smile

mumnosbest Wed 03-Apr-13 14:19:31

Thanks I'll take a look.

Happygirl77 Wed 03-Apr-13 20:20:17

I am still bf dc3 at 15 months (stopped bf dc1 and dc2 at 13/14 months). He has bm in the morning (not always on waking, dependent on school/preschool run etc!) and before bed. Has had norovirus this week so bf on demand.

showtunesgirl Wed 03-Apr-13 20:25:25

16 months over here. On working days she has BM in the morning and before she goes to bed. Sometimes she will ask for it as soon as we get home so then it's three in total.

On days that she's with me it's a bit more.

She nightweaned herself a while ago now and it was a gradual process. I think it was when she started to go really big on food and was so full up that she didn't want it anymore in the night. And she eats an unbelievable amount. I know there are a lot of threads on here about their DC not eating but I am on the flip side and worry that she eats too much!

Like Happygirl77, a little while ago, DD had a tummy bug and just wanted BM. I actually was nostalgic when changing her nappies. BM nappies!!!

mumnosbest Wed 03-Apr-13 20:54:03

Yuk to bm nappies! grin . Good to know there are a few about still bf. I hope dd stops the nightfeeds soon then i can think about finally moving her into her own cot. Think she needs to eat more first though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now