Talk

Advanced search

What type of formula to buy for 9.5 month old?

(8 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Tue 02-Apr-13 08:42:41

It's for my ds3 who will be starting nursery in a few weeks time, 3 days a week. I am BFing him and will continue to do so before and after work and on the days I'm not working. I have given away my pump and steriliser so can't express and tbh buying a little carton of milk would be easier.

I've never used formula before so I have no idea what to buy. I need something that's instant (in a carton, not powder) for a 9.5 month old who will probably only have a couple of oz from a cup. He might not even drink it since he barely takes any water in a cup but I thought I'd try anyway.

Thanks for any help!

Elkieb Tue 02-Apr-13 08:59:41

We used cow and gate- 6 + as he was weaning at that point. The formulas are nutritionally the same but some babies prefer a type. As you are using ready made you can try a few. You still need to sterilise and have bottles- I would recommend the avent bottles and steam steriliser. And just to reassure you, I ff my DS due to supply issues and he is happy, healthy and full of beans! grin

ilikeyoursleeves Tue 02-Apr-13 09:32:38

I wasn't going to use bottles seeing as he is over 9 months and doesn't get anything sterilised as it is. I assume I can just pour the milk carton in a cup? Can it keep for a few days? I reckon he will only drink a few oz at a time.

Loupee Tue 02-Apr-13 09:38:36

The guidelines are that anything that will contain milk should be sterilised up to 12 months. But if I were you I wouldn't bother sterilising a cup that will presumably go in a bag, and won't be storing milk for any length of time.
We use Aptamil follow on now, once opened the cartons are fine for 2 hours, or 24 hours if kept in a fridge. It doesn't really matter if you use first stage milk or follow on. And the brand is just personalreference.

ilikeyoursleeves Tue 02-Apr-13 09:48:12

Can you use follow on then if baby hasn't even been on any formula to follow on from iykwim?

SweepTheHalls Tue 02-Apr-13 09:51:43

Yes, the stage 2 6months plus is what you need, bf or ff prior to this is irrelevant. Good luck!

ilikeyoursleeves Tue 02-Apr-13 09:57:20

Thanks! What make is it?

BertieBotts Tue 02-Apr-13 10:07:03

You can use infant formula or 6 month + formula. All the brands are fine - just choose the one you can most easily get hold of! There is none which is "better" than another.

Once a carton is opened, you only have 24 hours to use it but yes you can put it into any cup. You'll probably find at your baby's age that very soon they will be happy just with food and water at nursery anyway and just bf at home smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now