Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Weaning off breast leading to depression?

(7 Posts)
somewherewest Fri 29-Mar-13 20:28:24

I finally dropped 15mo old DS's last breastfeed four days ago, after about four months of only feeding him twice a day. I'm 100% ready to stop feeding and he's been absolutely fine about it, but for some reason I've been feeling very depressed for the past two days (I have a long history of mild depression and am currently on a low dosage of Sertraline). I vaguely remember reading that stopping BFing can do weird things to hormones and was wandering if it could be this. I honestly can't think why else I'm so down. I should add that DH knows and is keeping an eye on me and that I'll be off to the GP if things don't improve soon.

FadBook Fri 29-Mar-13 20:44:24

I have no advice somewhere but just wanted to give an un-mumsnetty hug

Does it feel like the end of DS being a baby? A friend of mine stopped quite recently, well her DD weaned, and she felt happy with the decision and how it had happened, but she still felt a sort of sadness that it was over. The relationship you have with your DS when feeding (breast or bottle) is really special. It will feel different for a while, but you know in your heart that it was right and now it's the next exciting stage of DS's development.

You are doing the right thing by acknowledging your feelings. If you feel yourself getting more and more down over the coming weeks, definitely speak to your GP

FannyFifer Fri 29-Mar-13 20:48:49

Yes yes yes, on both of my children I i was very low when breastfeeding came to an end, think its quite common, losing the happy hormones that come with breastfeeding.

It's not just being sad not to breastfeed anymore it's definitely hormone related.

Mind yourself, glad your DH keeping an eye.

LemonPeculiarJones Fri 29-Mar-13 20:52:22

Hi somewherewest.

I felt depressed when my DS dropped a lot of feeds (when he started more or less sleeping through at about 8 months). He used to feed on and off all night, and the change was quite rapid (we reduced night feeds over a week or so). For a week or two after that I felt really low in that hormonal, on edge, depressed, tearful way.

He was still having feeds in the day but that was such a big jump and it did have an impact on me. At the time I researched it and it's a common phenomenon, so hang in there - it'll pass. It did for me.

I fed him through til 15 months too, but he reduced his feeds himself and very gradually, so when I did stop completely I didn't feel too bad.

Sounds like you reduced gradually too but everyone's hormonal response will be unique. Definitely sounds like your mood change is down to stopping bfing and is therefore v temporary.

Welovegrapes Fri 29-Mar-13 20:58:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

somewherewest Sat 30-Mar-13 12:45:27

Thank you everyone. It makes it a lot easier knowing its 'normal'. Consciously I feel fine about stopping breastfeeding, but maybe I am finding it subconsciously strange. DH and I parent very equally, but feeding has always been 'my thing' (DS would never take a bottle). Maybe a little part of me does miss it a bit. Feeling a bit better today anyway

minicc Sat 30-Mar-13 12:50:58

I had a real dip in mood after stopping the evening feed just before Xmas. I had Pnd and thought it was back again but I started to feel MUCH better after a fortnight or so. It's something to do with the drop in prolactin levels affecting your happy hormones. Plus, I think if you enjoyed bf it's a bit sad to stop even though its the right time, if you see what I mean? I still get sentimental when I see ladies and milk drunk babies....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now