Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oversupply/overeating bf baby? Experts help me!

(5 Posts)
RubyrooUK Fri 29-Mar-13 20:12:22

I'm very lucky in that DS2 (2.5 weeks) is an extremely competent breastfeeder. In fact, he can drain a breast in minutes.

But I also have the sort of milk supply on tap that would suit 26 small elephants rather than an 7lb 11oz baby. My milk comes out incredibly fast and in vast quantities.

So for the last few days, DS2 has demanded to feed in fury, eaten extremely quickly and then vomited up his feed. It's not just dribbling or posseting - it's somewhere between that and projectile vomiting.

I've been stopping him feeding every minute or so and winding him a bit. This does help and stops him vomiting as much but he is not very good at being winded and sometimes can't burp, gets into an enormous rage, demands furiously to go back on the breast, eats very quickly and then vomits again.

So the end result is that although I have a very cheery great breastfeeder who could complete a feed in about three minutes, it is actually taking hours to feed him as I have to stop so often to wind him. And he gets really pissed off in the process. This is especially galling in the night when we all just want to go back to sleep.

Anything I can do? Do I just have to wait for him to grow out of it or get better at managing my supply? How long might this take?

Any advice welcomed. I don't think DS1 ever puked after a feed because he didn't want to waste a drop so I'm a bit of a novice. grin

FadBook Fri 29-Mar-13 20:24:44

Firstly, congrats smile

Kellymom pages on oversupply is a good start. Have a read of this and see if there is any tips you can pick on this.

DD was just like this and by around 8 weeks, things got much much better. My supply evened out, but up to that point I had a forceful letdown, DD would inhale her milk and every other feed (more or less) she'd throw it up. I knew it wasn't reflux as she wasn't in pain, she'd just eat too much and/or too quick, and it wasn't her fault. Feeding lying down and at an angle so gravity was against the milk (there's pic on kellymom) helped.

Block feeding may help too but I would strongly recommend talking to someone about how to do this efficiently (LLL would be good)

I'm sure others may have some advice too.

RubyrooUK Fri 29-Mar-13 20:31:50

Thanks Fadbook. That Kellymom page is really useful.

I've already stopped bf lying down as this makes it worse, which is a shame as I would love to do that at night. (Am so tired out with a toddler and newborn!) But I will try some of the other positions listed there.

I'm also block feeding pretty much. Doing small feeds, burping, back on the same breast. I will try to be more disciplined about that.

I'm also pretty sure it isn't reflux as DS2 seems perfectly happy, just a bit surprised when he vomits. And he doesn't seem uncomfortable at all.

Everyone sure there is no magic immediate solution? grin

FadBook Fri 29-Mar-13 20:36:40

Oh poor you with a toddler too (mine is 19 months and I couldn't imagine a newborn as well!)

Hopefully some others will have some magical solution for you. For now, I would recommend lots of baby grows and lots of muslins - we got through tons!

RubyrooUK Fri 29-Mar-13 20:39:38

Yes it doesn't help that I have to do every breastfeed with the baby latched on awkwardly close to my body and the toddler sitting on my knees in front shouting "are you alright baby?" loudly in his brother's ear. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now