Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed on use of bottle and dummy after TT snip.

(7 Posts)
Tribblewithoutacause Thu 28-Mar-13 19:31:40

Hi,

DS has had a posterior tongue tie snipped today (he's nearly four weeks). We've been giving him a dummy and an occasional bottle to give me a breather.

Does anyone have any advice on these, will the occasional ten minutes with the dummy or bottle do him any harm whilst he's healing?

Thank you.

MumOfTheMoos Thu 28-Mar-13 19:46:20

When my DS had his tongue tie snipped I was told to bf as much as possible to help with the healing.

I would leave off the bottle and dummy until you've got your bfing fully established; after all you don't n to go to the trouble of getting the TT snipped only for your DS to get nipple confusing etc, etc.

Mind my DS couldn't feed at all so he'd been on permanent bottles! I don't remember using a dummy with him until he was older.

I'd leave it a couple of weeks, personally.

Congratulations, by the way, it's such a relief to have the TT snipped!

MumOfTheMoos Thu 28-Mar-13 19:47:01

Sorry about the typos - on iPad keyboard!

tethersend Thu 28-Mar-13 19:47:01

DD had hers snipped and was exclusively FF- the advice was to get her feeding as soon as possible. I think the more movement the better.

I'm not sure about dummies as she never took one anyway.

McBaby Thu 28-Mar-13 19:52:08

My TT surgeon suggested giving my LO a dummy to stop scar tissue forming, so it could be beneficial. Not that she would comply!

BonaDea Fri 29-Mar-13 14:05:33

Our LO had his posterior tt snipped yesterday at 9 days old. We were told that posterior ties are far more likely to reattach so to bf as much as possible to keep the tongue moving.

I would avoid a bottle or dummy for now because of the risk of infection with an open wound in his mouth. Obv your boob is sterile and your milk has healing qualities.

MoreSnowPlease Fri 29-Mar-13 20:29:20

The consultant who cut DSs ptt said don't use the dummy (or minimally) because of the risk of infection while healing, I guess if you're careful it could be ok if LO really needs it, but if not could you breastfeed more and that can be used for comfort? (don't know if you're in pain, I certainly couldn't have done that!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now