Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone talk to me about being a breastfeeding councellor?

(9 Posts)
BelleEtLaBaby Thu 07-Feb-13 22:04:19

First of all, apologies if this seems a bit vague - I'm really just forming my ideas here.

I've posted previously in other sections about wanting to career change. I am a FE lecturer and really unhappy.

I stumbled today (pregnant, off work and googling) across the education section of the NCT website and I'm curious. I was approached about being a bf counsellor when I had DS, by my HV. This would have been a voluntary position and I was really interested, but I got extremely ill and then we moved hundreds of miles away.

Now I am pg again, I'm wondering if it is something I could actually do as a job? Bf counselling or NCT classes or something? And if I could get funding to train? Would I get paid?

I will still look into it as a volunteer once dc2 is born (sept). But I'm curious. Any thoughts?

ProcessYellowC Thu 07-Feb-13 22:07:58

I trained as a volunteer. When I had my baby I was really interested in the whole baby care side of things, but from what I remember at the time the best way to go "professional" on it would be to train as a midwife. Would that interest you?

Hopefully someone more helpful will be along.

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 07-Feb-13 22:16:03

Thanks. Not really interested in midwifery - I did consider it. But I don't think it's the medical/birth bit that gets my interest. More, the idea of helping new mums in the early weeks. I love the idea of working in a support capacity - and the NCT is running a course with the University of Worcester, which seemed to imply it could be an actual career?

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 07-Feb-13 22:16:30

I think it's quite new - but figured if there's info, it'll be on mumsnet smile

EauRouge Fri 08-Feb-13 03:30:26

I know quite a few BFCs. It's mostly a voluntary position although I think that some BFCs can earn money for certain things, and you can claim for expenses etc. It varies between organisations but you wouldn't be able to make a living out of it.

However, it's often easy to fit around young children (again it varies, some organisations are more flexible than others), you learn lots of transferable skills that look good on your CV, meet loads of lovely people and get a warm, fuzzy feeling from all the good work you do grin

Some BFCs go on to become accredited lactation consultants and they do earn money.

Have a look at the different organisations (NCT, LLL, ABM, BFN), see what they have to offer and which type of training would suit you best.

Dillydollydaydream Fri 08-Feb-13 03:46:20

Depending where you live NHS do advertise for breastfeeding support worker jobs if you wanted to progress from a voluntary role to a paid one.
Check out the person specification and job description to see what you think

breastfeeding support worker

morethanasong Fri 08-Feb-13 15:05:33

I'm training to be an nct bfc, though not with the university of Worcester. That's a new course, and the course that I'm on is ending. I don't know much about the new course tbh - probably not much more than you've read. I've really enjoyed my training and I'm looking forward to (hopefully!) qualifying soon.

There is some paid work around, but I don't think any bfc makes a living from it. Antenatal sessions are paid, but how much work there is depends on demand in your area and also how many other local bfcs there are who also want the work. BFCs on the nct helpline are paid. There are other options too like training peer supporters, once you've been qualified for a few years. Other th

morethanasong Fri 08-Feb-13 15:06:18

Oops - posted too soon!

Other things are generally voluntary. Feel free to pm me if you like.

crikeybadger Fri 08-Feb-13 17:33:57

Another option which you could consider is to train as a post natal doula. You can support mothers in the early weeks and obviously breastfeeding help would be part of this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now