Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hungrier baby milk v normal formula

(7 Posts)
DillyDallyDayDream Sun 20-Jan-13 21:32:47

Posting for a friend

Her little girl is 14 weeks old and currently on 4/5oz every 3/4 hours, she is wondering whether to move her baby onto the hungrier baby formula so she gets more from the milk.

Is it worth it??
She is using cow and gate formula

Thanks

Fairylea Sun 20-Jan-13 21:37:52

The hungry baby milk is just the older version of formula that is harder to digest ..
.it really upset my ds when I gave it to him once as he was feeding every hour. I went back to normal sma gold.

I think if it's harder to digest it can't be nice for them!

Why is your friend wanting to do it anyway? 3/4 hours is perfect!

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 20-Jan-13 21:39:59

yup, fairylea's right, she won't get more from the milk, it's the same. just proteins are harder to digest cos they're bigger. this is why our bottlefeeding mothers tell us that we only fed four times a day when we were babies.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 20-Jan-13 21:48:50

hungrier milk has the same calories but is made from the harder to digest casein milk protein (first milk is whey based). It can be constipating. Her lo's feeding sounds fine and doesnt sound like she needs hungry milk.

NellyBluth Sun 20-Jan-13 22:00:55

5oz every 3-4 hours sounds perfectly fine. Is there a reason why your friend is concerned this is too much? If I remember right 30oz a day is about the right amount for a baby of that age.

I think Hungry Baby milk is really badly named, it does suggest that it will fill your baby up and give them more calories, whereas it actually keeps them fuller for longer. I'm not against it, we used it a night when DD was about that age, but only after a lot of trial and error that led us to see she was still taking the same oz of milk throughout the day, but slept longer (and so was happier) at night.

BertieBotts Sun 20-Jan-13 22:02:54

I wouldn't - if the baby wants more milk then she should make bigger bottles and/or feed more often smile

IME friends have used the hungry baby milk to delay weaning when the baby's appetite gets huge but they are not yet 6 or even 5 months old.

Aspiemum2 Sun 20-Jan-13 22:07:38

I had to use this with dts from about 10 weeks. It was on advice from hv as he was wanting 8oz every 2-3 hrs and not really settling in between. It was a lifesaver for us but I think it is for situations like that rather than what sounds like normal feeding. Dtg was taking about 6oz every 3-4hrs so stayed on stage 1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now