Talk

Advanced search

Left boob has stopped working??

(4 Posts)
squidkid Sat 19-Jan-13 19:10:08

Hello,
baby is nearly 4 months old and exclusively breastfed. I used to express and boyfriend give a bottle sometimes, but to be honest I haven't done that in a couple of months now. Until this week I'd say breastfeeding was going really well and I was enjoying it. Baby is quite little but growing fine, 9th centile at last weighing (between 9th and 25th at birth).

The last few days baby has just seemed a lot more frustrated when feeding. I have realised this is only when feeding on left side. I tend to only feed on one side each feed, this has always satisfied her before, and if I squeezed boob after feed there was still milk there. Now I can't get milk out of left boob myself, right boob seems fine.

This is just a growth spurt and I should just continue, offering her both sides when needed, right? Reassure me!!! I really feel like left side has stopped working... confused

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 19-Jan-13 21:11:37

Doubt very much it has just stopped working at 4 months. How much you can express (or squeeze) is no indication of how much milk you are making and as you say, she is growing and following her centiles nicely.

If she does seem unsettled on one side, have you tried some breast compressions?. This should give her a faster flow and might work. Try offering both breasts at each feed too, and then again if needed. Only using one breast at each feed is the advice given to women with an oversupply.

squidkid Sun 20-Jan-13 08:09:50

Thanks

I always offered both sides at first, but as she never wanted a second boob I stopped bothering! I was quite engorged until about 3 months though.

Not sure exactly how to do breast compressions, but will look into this, thank you!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 20-Jan-13 09:44:12

If you google Dr jack Newman breast compression, it should come up smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now