Talk

Advanced search

Thrush and probiotics

(7 Posts)
Jims Fri 18-Jan-13 22:06:16

Hello
I'm feeling reasonably proud of myself having made it to 10 weeks through my son (F) having been in hospital twice for UTIs and needing to attach myself to a breast pump for those stays since he didn't feed properly (that was his only symptom along with being very sleepy).
He's now on daily antibiotics and I'm fairly sure we're still battling thrush. This was diagnosed in hospital on his second stay and I also realised I was having the horrendous burning sensation which I'd just attributed to pumping too hard to keep things going. I've been on fluconazole for two weeks since then but still feel that the thrush isn't gone due to prickling plus a rash around one nipple (I know the latch is bad on this side) which flares up really badly when the thrush is in full force.
F's tongue has gone really coated again despite using daktarin oral gel. I'm struggling to treat him as he's really really sicky and usually manages to sick quite quickly after I give it to him. He'll be sick any time after a feed up to 2 hours later. I'm also using Daktarin for my nipples, plus sticking bras and cotton breast pads in the milton before hot washing them and tumble drying sometimes. I've been sterilising the pump and bottles in milton and using the microwave steamer too sometimes. Plus I've just started cutting down on bread and sugar in my diet.
The fluconazole runs out today and I'm seeing a GP again on Monday to get swabs done on the advice of the breastfeeding network to check whether it is thrush at all.
I've seen that some recommend giving the baby probiotics and was just wondering if anyone had any success with that? I was wondering if I might have more success with that since he just washes away any oral medication.
I'd really like to make it longer as I did with my first son but am finding it really hard work. plus I dread to think what our electric bill is going to be like with all the washing.
many thanks
jims

Jims Fri 18-Jan-13 22:12:39

I do realise that many of these symptoms could be due to the bad latch and not thrush. However when I had these same symptoms at 3 weeks after his first dose of antibiotics, I finished the original course of creams etc suggested by the dr, I still had the same residual symptoms. 5 days later we were diagnosed with thrush in hospital and I had the raging rash and burning sensation which was worst on let down but carried on the entire time I was on the pump in hospital. Hence the reason I don't think it's gone - plus his really really white tongue which doesn't wipe off.

nillynoon Sat 19-Jan-13 04:38:21

What's the pain like during a feed and after? I've just been treated for thrush and my pain after a feed is now down to vasospasm, which is common when you have had thrush. I have a rubbish latch on the affected side as well which doesn't help, so going to go to a bf group on Monday. I've been taking acidophilus myself, but haven't given any to baby

sleepywombat Sat 19-Jan-13 06:47:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jims Sat 19-Jan-13 14:56:24

Funnily enough he did seem to do better on nystatin so i might ask about powder on monday. I don't really grt much pain when feeding just a prickling feeling which carries on afterwards. I'm also have quite red nipples.
I was wondering if there were any recommendations about which probiotics i could try as obviously want to avoid those with food additives since he's under weaning age

PaleHousewifeOfCumbriaCounty Sat 19-Jan-13 16:05:39

Have you tried an acidophillus suppent?

leedy Sat 19-Jan-13 18:33:40

Udo's Choice do an Infant Blend probiotic that's supposed to be suitable from birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now