Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

B/feeding a newborn while dp sleeps?

(20 Posts)
Nicky1306 Sun 13-Jan-13 23:24:02

Hi do DC2 is due in 5 weeks and I plan on ebf again and we will have him/her in our room with us.
Do you/did you leave your bedroom for the night feeds? I don't want to wake DP. His sleeping pattern is terrible as it is and offen struggles to get back to sleep or wakes up for no reason. I'm conscious of making this worse especially as he has a 50 min daily commute on the motorway to contend with.

X x

toddlerama Sun 13-Jan-13 23:26:04

Never thought to leave the room. I left a small nightlight on in the first couple of weeks just so I could find the babies quickly in the night though!

McPhee Sun 13-Jan-13 23:26:46

I kept a small touchlight next to the bed for this very reason.

Don't forget you need to be comfortable. I'm afraid DH will just need to hang the duvet over his head, to go to another room to sleep whilst you establish bf.

JollyGolightly Sun 13-Jan-13 23:28:38

I did with dc1, and dh usually slept through it. DC2 is a noisier feeder and needs quite a bit of winding and puking time so it's more disruptive, and dh usually sleeps in the spare room. Leaving the bedroom would make me grumpy.

MrsBungleBear Sun 13-Jan-13 23:30:25

No.I.didn't leave the room. I had a night light and was quiet.

No way was I getting up and leaving the room every 2 hours or less.

izzyishappilybusy Sun 13-Jan-13 23:31:56

I co sleep - I use the light from phone to latch baby on and feed lying Down.

BertieBotts Sun 13-Jan-13 23:33:52

I co slept too and it didn't disturb XP at all.

coffeeandcream Sun 13-Jan-13 23:43:50

I do leave the room as I have to get up anyway to change DSs nappy, it doesn't bother me. Also, I'm more likely to keep falling asleep if I stay in bed and would end up with a sore back and neck, am much more comfy in my nursing chair

izzyishappilybusy Sun 13-Jan-13 23:49:26

I often go to sleep feeding - that's the biggest benefit of co sleeping

Weissdorn Mon 14-Jan-13 06:34:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jaggythistle Mon 14-Jan-13 06:42:54

With DS1 I did go to the spare room I think after the first few weeks.

With DS2 i didn't as his brother sleeps there now! I've also been more relaxed about having him in bed beside me to get a bit more sleep.

Bunbaker Mon 14-Jan-13 06:48:11

"Do you/did you leave your bedroom for the night feeds?"

No. It is too cold at this time of year. Get your OH to sleep in another room if he can't deal with disturbed sleep.

scrivette Mon 14-Jan-13 06:48:46

I did for for the first few weeks as I had to change nappies a lot during the night. After a while I didn't bother and DH didn't wake.

sparklekitty Mon 14-Jan-13 10:33:41

I did when dd was tiny, mainly coz she needed a nappy change so I fed in her room even tho we were/are co-sleeping.

Now she'll go through the night in the same nappy I most certainly don't. I often doze through her feeds and she'll help herself now. My bladder gets me out of bed more than the baby now!

ThreeWheelsGood Mon 14-Jan-13 15:52:30

I've used a dim lamp and I sit up in bed. A couple of times DP has slept on the sofa, but mostly he just doesn't wake up when I wake up to feed. I think it's easier for men to sleep through the crying/snuffling as subconsciously they know they don't have to wake up
iyswim.

The baby is both your responsibility, and nights when you're breastfeeding at the start are hard, maybe he should wake up to support you/change nappies/burp baby to give you a chance to get back to sleep?!

WantAnOrange Mon 14-Jan-13 15:55:28

Nope. We co-sleep which makes BF much easier, means I wake before DD cries and latch her on and fall asleep feeding her. It wasnt that easy at first but new baby = no sleep. If he doesnt like it, say "welcome to parenting". It really doesnt last that long.

The real issue here is his sleep problem. Has he seen his GP about it?

EauRouge Mon 14-Jan-13 16:19:53

No, I didn't leave the room. We co-slept and both DDs would just roll over and latch on- there wasn't even any crying most of the time, just a bit of grunting and wriggling. DH would sleep in the other room if he needed more sleep.

ZuleikaD Mon 14-Jan-13 17:34:09

Nope. With both DCs DH slept through their night wakeups after a week or two.

nickelbabe Mon 14-Jan-13 17:36:12

the baby must be in with you.

it also makes no sense to leave the room.

we had a table lamp on permanently at night at the other side of the room.
i stayed in bed to feed (sitting up and propped by pillows)

EauRouge Mon 14-Jan-13 17:49:57

I know your DH has an hour drive and you are right that he needs to get enough sleep, but how will you cope at home with a newborn and another DC if you have to keep getting out of bed and going into another room every 2 hours? And you'll be recovering from giving birth. You need your sleep too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now