Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

do you drink alcohol if you are ebf

(8 Posts)
whatdoithinknow Sat 12-Jan-13 14:07:00

I assume it is safe to stil drink alcohol even though I am bf my baby? What do others do and has it ever affected their lo? I have never seen the point in the stop and dump idea and also read that alcohol notes freely in and out of the milk so. Only time is needed for milk to be clear. I've never noticed any after effects in my lo....

Snusmumriken Sat 12-Jan-13 14:21:49

I didn't drink until DS was about nine months and I wanted a glass of wine to celebrate my anniversary. Although, according to the guidelines I follow (Swedish gov) drinking one to two glasses of wine is completely fine while BF.
they say that the amount of alcohol in your milk is the same amount as would be in about 2dl of yoghurt.
HTH

jennimoo Sat 12-Jan-13 14:22:25

I think the only reason to pump and dump is if you're missing feeds and want to keep supply up, as you say time will reduce the alcohol in the milk anyway. I guess it's similar to the time it takes to leave your bloodstream, but only a guess!

Loislane78 Sat 12-Jan-13 18:42:44

I drink a small glass of wine usually after the 6.30 feed when (in theory) I won't be feeding for 4+ hours. Having said that I will have one at lunch if we're going out. It's nor everyday but I'd say 4 times a week.

LO is 5 mo and I started when she was say ~10 weeks. It's my little treat as well as all the food treats

PenelopeChipShop Sat 12-Jan-13 19:03:47

Yeah I do the same as Lois, a glass after the bedtime feed which is the longest gap. I have a friend who is an alcohol counsellor who says this is totally fine. Only a small amount will make it into the blood which is what milk is made from. But with a gap of three to four hours it will be gone anyway. I don't have one every day though just when ds has been particularly trying

leedy Sat 12-Jan-13 19:14:26

I am having a small glass of wine while feeding DS2 RIGHT NOW.

McBaby Sat 12-Jan-13 19:26:09

Yes! Usually when she is in bed and have approx 12 hours with no feeds(fingers crossed she doesn't wake) but not more couple if glasses!

feekerry Sat 12-Jan-13 21:07:40

Ye i drink as normal. Haven't changed anything i do pre ebf. Probably have a bottle of wine fri and maybe one Sunday. Dd is 10 months. Ebf and no issues. Wouldn't go out and get legless on spirits but fair few wines are okay in my book!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now