Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feeding on demand, any alternatives??

(12 Posts)
Lyns22 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:14:37

Ok so I know the new accepted modern way of feeding is putting baby in control but does anyone out there stick to a schedule??
I fed on demand but I ultimately want to be in control so I can have a bit of a life and be a bit more organised.
Just wondering if anyone has tips on getting baby into a routine??

5madthings Tue 08-Jan-13 22:20:39

Time they tend to get into a bit more of a routine once they are on solids as well as milk, but if you are feeding you have to remember its not just about 'food' its comfort etc as well so if they are tired/cranky/teething etc WTC they may well want to feed.

sleeplessinderbyshire Tue 08-Jan-13 22:22:40

just follow them and all of a sudden you'll get routine. Both of mine have been EBF on demand and by 4-5 months both have had an approximate pattern. DD2 is 6 months next week and we have a very definite pattern to eating and sleeping which varies only really if she's ill, we drive a long long way and she sleeps in the car or if by fluke she has a lie in in the morning. I did nothing, it all just happened

BluddyNora Tue 08-Jan-13 22:35:02

I did a routine, stopped me from cracking up! Early days I offered a feed every 3 hours during the day (8am, 11am, 2:30pm, split feed 5:30/6pm, dream feed at 11 and then whenever he woke in the night. Just adjusted the times to suit as he got bigger. Depends on your baby's personality as much as yours- I was lucky to have a baby who needed the routine as much as I did!

Some days it all went to pot, mind you but that's life!

Welovecouscous Tue 08-Jan-13 22:39:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Welovecouscous Tue 08-Jan-13 22:40:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Tue 08-Jan-13 22:48:52

I'm the same as Norah! Luckily my son also seems to like a routine but it does go belly up now and again!

DS is 12 weeks and followed a routine ala gina ford from 1 week old, I breastfeed.

ZuleikaD Wed 09-Jan-13 11:13:30

Yes, babies get into a rhythm of their own once their stomachs are a bit bigger. The alternative (trying to stretch spaces between feeds) just makes for a crying baby and I don't really see how that's easier.

Lyns22 Wed 09-Jan-13 20:36:58

Thanks for sharing all your experiences girls!
My dd is 3 months and I'm exclusively bf so just would like to give her a feed, leave with with hubby for an hour (the madness!) and get some tasks done quickly!
Xx

ScariestFairyByFar Wed 09-Jan-13 20:56:45

Give it a few more weeks I found suddenly at about 3-4months I could leave dd for an hour or so as long as I fed before I left. If I was there she wanted fed but left with xp she was fine. Try leaving her and see how it goes if your not there she won't smell milk so will probably be able to be distracted for a wee while.

ChoudeBruxelles Wed 09-Jan-13 20:58:39

try writing down whenever you feed - you will start to notice a pattern and can plan around it (bring forward a feed a little bit if you know you are going out etc).

HannahBerry Wed 09-Jan-13 21:02:05

MASSIVE growth spurt at 3 months. Then it suddenly got a lot quicker. Good luck X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now