Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aptamil first milk, comfort milk and reflux

(4 Posts)
accol Sat 05-Jan-13 20:51:35

I changed my baby from Aptamil first milk to comfort at 4 weeks of age because he was showing signs of Colic, this was then diagnosed as silent reflux but I still kept him on the comfort milk. He is now 15 weeks and has started pooing 4 times a day and it can be a little runny, maybe one being a bit firmer due to the gaviscon he is taking. Is this a sign that he no longer should be on the comfort milk and I should put him back onto first milk? He has also been showing signs of not being fully satisfied on his feeds, is this a result of the increased pooing and again a sign that I need to change milk. Should I speak to my health visitor before changing anything? Do I have to change gradually?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks in advance.

MolotovCocktail Sun 06-Jan-13 11:59:30

My DD1 had gastric reflux and was on Aptamil Comfort milk from 4wo (due to poor weight gain from my breastmilk) and Gaviscon powder from 14wo until she was 6mo.

The comfort milk has a smaller molecular structure, which makes it easier for the baby to digest. For this reason, your DS will poo more, and the stools might be runnier. This isn't necessarily bad thing but if you are worried, do speak to your HV. Personally, I wouldn't see this as a sign to put him back on First Milk, but as he is now on Gaviscon, again, it's worth discussing with your HV.

As for him seeming hungry, maybe just add an extra fluid ounce to his feeds? A general rule is that babies start off on about 3fl oz every 3/4 hours at birth, then increase by 1fl oz for each month until about 6mo. Your DS is almost 4mo - how much milk does he have at each feed? I would think he needs between 5-6fl oz now.

accol Sun 06-Jan-13 12:59:39

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah his poos did change a lot when we first moved onto the comfort milk but he has only been going once maybe twice a day. Never 4 times and he doesn't seem ill so I don't think it is diahorrea.

He takes 6-7oz for his day feeds and then will do 8oz at his bedtime feed. He has been sleeping 12 hours overnight but has started waking earlier and earlier hungry.

MolotovCocktail Sun 06-Jan-13 18:24:13

I think that you should talk to your HV. He might even need a 'hungry baby' formula. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now