Talk

Advanced search

4 month old disinterested in milk!

(7 Posts)
Hybrid Fri 04-Jan-13 22:00:46

My DD is 18 weeks old and for the last 2-3 weeks has become increasingly fussy with feeding.

I've been BF and giving the occasional bottle of expressed milk (was keen to make sure she was able and willing to take a bottle) and then found that out of the blue she was pretty much refusing to feed from me. She would arch her back, pull her head away and scream. In the end, I have found she will pretty much only feed in the day if I'm sitting almost fully reclined with her lying along down my tummy IYSWIM. Sometimes it was just impossible so then I'd express purely to feed her from a bottle.

Now this has even become hard work and she seems to only take about 1-2 oz at a time, even if I stop start her over the period of an hour. I expressed 4oz today and she took just 1.5 oz even though the feed 3 hours before was very brief.

The only decent feed she'll take from me is the night time one just before bed. We are also trying to give her a formula feed at 10.30/11pm but again, she never takes more than 1-2 oz.

It's stressing me out a bit because she has also started waking HOURLY for the last week and I'm convinced that whilst there are definitely bad habits involved (she's reflux and windy so i can't put her down after a night time feed for ages so gets put down in her basket asleep) I'm also fairly convinced she's not feeding enough in the day. She just doesn't seem remotely interested!

She is also definitely teething (I make her sound like a nightmare but she's lovely really!).

Despite all this she seems to be gaining weight ok (second child syndrome=not having weighed her recently but she's looking pretty healthy and happy).

I'm at a loss and I'm absolutely KNACKERED!

Any advice would be very very appreciated!

englishbreakfast Fri 04-Jan-13 22:31:40

If your DD has silent reflux, then she's in pain when feeding and that's why she's refusing. It's normal for reflux babies to feed better when sleepy or asleep as they don't feel the pain as much. I would suggest that you take her to the doctor and ask them for medication to control the reflux. Please don't leave it too long as your DD can develop a feeding aversion. My DD had silent reflux and even though she was on meds from about 8-9 weeks old, she developed aversion to milk which was a real big struggle for a few months. She outgrew it when she was about 10 months old and now her drinking and eating is fine, but those first few months were very hard and upsetting... x

Hybrid Fri 04-Jan-13 22:45:20

Oh goodness! I hadn't even considered silent reflux. Just looked it up and I guess it would tie in with why she takes so little except when sleepy.

She pulls away within 2-3 sucks on the breast - does that sound typical? She has been grumpy over the last few days which really isn't like her and she's been drooling like crazy which I put down to teething.

Now that we are giving her bottles, I feel more stressed as I can see exactly how little she is taking.

I'll book a GP appointment on Monday!
Thanks!

Hybrid Fri 04-Jan-13 22:46:55

Oh goodness! I hadn't even considered silent reflux. Just looked it up and I guess it would tie in with why she takes so little except when sleepy.

She pulls away within 2-3 sucks on the breast by arching her back - does that sound typical? She has been grumpy over the last few days which really isn't like her and she's been drooling like crazy which I put down to teething.

Now that we are giving her bottles, I feel more stressed as I can see exactly how little she is taking.

I'll book a GP appointment on Monday!
Thanks!

Hybrid Fri 04-Jan-13 23:06:42

Apologies for that double post.

One other question, when DD vomits it's almost always curdled milk even though she's only just fed - does this indicate anything?

englishbreakfast Sat 05-Jan-13 00:25:40

I'm sorry, I don't know about the curdled milk spit up as my DD hardly ever vomited, I think that's quite normal with regular reflux which a lot of babies get and that isn't painful. I think usually silent reflux babies don't spit up much, but the refusal, her taking very little at each feed and the arching, pulling away and screaming all fit with silent reflux. Pulling away after a few sucks is quite typical too as they are hungry but they it starts hurting after a few swallows so they stop. My DD was exactly like this, fed very little, never seemed interested in feeding, pulling off constantly etc. There may be another reason for your DD's feeding refusal but it's definitely worth checking it out with the doctor. My DD's reflux was a mechanical issue due to immature esophageal sphincter, but it can also be caused by intolerance to something (i.e. dairy that she maybe getting through BM). I found that distraction worked for us to an extent, like putting cartoons on for DD during feeding times (this or sleep feeding were the only ways I could get her to drink milk for quite a while)....

Hybrid Sat 05-Jan-13 03:11:49

Thanks so much for all the info English. I'll definitely be booking am appointment come Monday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now