Talk

Advanced search

Bottle feeding while out

(3 Posts)
Kaze0307 Tue 01-Jan-13 06:48:32

Hi, I'm a new mum my dd is 2 weeks old and we are switching to ff as she isn't putting much weight on, plus I'm exhausted and I have no appetite. It may be a daft question but how do you ff while out as the guidelines state you should make each feed as and when required, plus you should throw away any unused milk after an hour. This seems impossible if your out for the day.

EMS23 Tue 01-Jan-13 06:54:37

Which formula are you using? Most brands also come in ready made cartons, which are ideal for use when out. They're also great for overnights, although they generally work out to double the cost of powder so it depends on your budget.

Or you could carry a thermos flask with freshly boiled water in it. I do this as my DD's have/ are on formula not available in ready made cartons.

As your baby gets bigger you may feel ok to pre make a bottle, rapid cool and take out in a freezer bag with ice packs to keep cool. But that isn't in line with current guidelines so up to you to assess your view on risks.

brettgirl2 Tue 01-Jan-13 06:56:50

To follow advice to the letter you need to take a carton and a sterilised bottle. That's what I always did at that age. Later on if I knew they' d want feeding in an hour I' d take a bottle and let it cool a bit slower. Tbh at 2 weeks it's much easier to use premixed anyway especially if you' ve just switched as she will probably feed little and often for the first week or so.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: