Talk

Advanced search

Big hard lumpy area in breast

(7 Posts)
MayimBialik Mon 24-Dec-12 10:18:42

Half of my right boob is hard and lumpy.

It got very engorged a couple of days ago after a Christmas night out where ds was EBF by my parents. That evening I came in and was in a lot of discomfort and felt feverish. I know I should have expressed while I was out to prevent engorgment but was only away from DS for 3 hours so thought it wouldn't matter as I go for longer periods at night without feeding him.

Now it is no longer engorged but almost one half of my breast still feels hard and lumpy. The area just doesn't seem to be draining. Have tried massage, keep feeding from the offending breast, repositioning DS, expressing, warm baths. I've looked for a white spot on my nipple indicating a blocked duct but can't see one.

Any advice at all - DS is also becoming fussy at the breast (fine on left though)

MayimBialik Mon 24-Dec-12 10:19:21

DS is 5 weeks, should have said

fryingpanalley Mon 24-Dec-12 10:31:30

I'm speaking from personal experience, hopefully an expert will be along in a bit.
It sounds like you are doing all the right things, especially feeding as much as possible from that side, even persevering when baby is fussing. A couple of things which helped me were putting a flannel on the offending area while in a warm bath, then using a widetoothed blunt comb to massage towards the nipple, trying to break up lumps and massage them out. I did find that quite uncomfortable but others said it worked for them. The other was to feed my DD1 in the bath. She enjoyed it but I had to have DH on hand to help with the logistics.
Do you feel feverish now at all? Because if you do, leg it for an emergency GP appointment as mastitis is no fun and you really want those antibiotics.
Hope it clears soon.

McBaby Mon 24-Dec-12 14:11:38

Get some antibiotics today it can turn in to full blown mastisis really quickly. Hoping my antibiotics kick in soon!

KatieLily12 Mon 24-Dec-12 18:04:24

Sounds like you're doing the right thing but I agree with the antibiotics/ getting it checked advice too.

Just a thought- how far back are you massaging from? I ask because I have a permenant lump that sometimes backs up milk. I often have to massage from quite far back to move milk along.

Also try different positions to feed to get baby to help you shift things. When I get engorged I try different positions to get baby's chin to massage different areas as they dig in to feed. It really helps!

KatieLily12 Mon 24-Dec-12 20:34:56

Ooooo I forgot:

When my milk came in I was v engorged and used cabbage leaves to help tame things. It will reduce your milk supply so use with caution. Take the nice big outer leaves, rinse and leave damp. Bosh with a rolling pin a bit and pop in the fridge. Bliss. Yes you'll smell like a greengrocers but it'll calm things down so that little one isn't wrestling with a beach ball trying to latch on. Little bean was very wary of my chest the two times I was engorged and this helped get her latched even though she seemed a bit confused by mummy's new smell!

PollyIndia Mon 24-Dec-12 21:21:20

I have had this twice in the last 10 days due to missing feeds and both times felt feverish but through massage, feeding and paracetamol, managed to stave off full blown mastitis. I would prefer to avoid anti biotics if at all possible.

Fingers crossed it doesn't develop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now