Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! 7mo teething, won't feed on left breast any more, risk of mastitis

(6 Posts)
BlueCrane Sun 23-Dec-12 22:06:24

My 7mo DS who has been EBF up until 6m when I started to wean him (currently having one meal per day) now has 2 teeth on the bottom and seems to be going through the pain for the next ones to emerge v soon. On Friday night he suddenly started waking in the night crying lots due to the pain, took breast milk ok, but then was sick in bed at 4am which is a first for him! During Saturday he fed ok but started to bite me on my left nipple when I was feeding on that side (I generally do one side only per feed as have an over abundant supply of milk). For his 4pm feed he suddenly wouldn't take from the left at all and hasn't fed from that side since! Therefore effectively cutting out half his feeds!! At each feed time when he would normally take that side I am offering it to him but he just cries and arches his back. I've tried different holds but to no avail. Then today he seemed like he was going to go for it but instead bit my nipple v hard and drew blood! I've been expressing from that side and trying to give the EBm to him in a bottle or cup as worried he's getting dehydrated but he won't take the bottle and will only have a tiny bit from the cup. I'm also getting v sore and lumpy on my left side as expressing doesn't clear the breast as well as he used to! And of course, typically, that's the side I've had mastitis in twice! Have in laws staying For Christmas and DH seems to be getting ill...just not what I need at all!! Any ideas or advice on how to get DS to feed again from the left and or whether it could just be time for him to drop half his feeds and want more solids???

Welovecouscous Sun 23-Dec-12 23:49:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JingleJohnsJulie Mon 24-Dec-12 13:19:11

Poor you, have you tried offering the left one when you are both lying down? This may work for the rejection and the biting. I'd call one of the bfing helplines today though about the problems you are experiencing, have you got the numbers?

Welovecouscous Mon 24-Dec-12 18:19:43

BlueCrane Sat 12-Jan-13 22:29:52

So sorry not to have responded...not long after posting originally and after some further research it appeared that DS had gone on a feeding strike on left side due to my reaction when he bit me...I did manage to sneakily offer the left side again when he was half asleep though and he took it, then did the same again the Nextel morning which also worked and have managed to get him back on track and no more biting!

Welovecouscous Sat 12-Jan-13 22:45:35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now