Talk

Advanced search

Is this what 5 month bf babies do?!

(12 Posts)
monkeypuzzeltree Mon 17-Dec-12 21:55:04

So DS is ebf after a very rocky start. Feel very proud that we are still at it at 5.5 months but we are a world away from my bed loving FF daughter and I can't decide if its because we just haven't got a proper routine or if its just the way this boy is!

At the moment, he cluster feeds from 6-8, he sleeps on the sofa until about 10.30 when dh gives him an expressed bottle- it's a fight and he often only drinks 3 or 4 oz. this means I can go to bed early and be ready for our 2am fairly quick 20min feed then the 5am feed which I bring him into bed for, he then feeds again about 6.30.

In desperation I started weaning, which has made him cheerier during the day but done nothing for nights! He only naps twice during the day while we are taking/collecting dd1 from school for max 45 mins. How can he need so little sleep!

Is this just normal??! My first slept 7-7 with 3 or 4 naps in the day - I didn't know how good I had it!

monkeypuzzeltree Mon 17-Dec-12 22:02:27

Oh, I forgot a feed, there is also the midnight one! He is in a cot in my room but if we co-sleep he snacks/comfort feeds all night and I get less sleep sad

Northernlurker Mon 17-Dec-12 22:05:40

I think that's how he is. You've done great to feed him yourself smile. I suspect when he moves in to his own room (or in with sister and away from you) you may find he feeds less through the night. The early evening cluster feed is particularly hard isn't it? When are you supposed to eat!

Whiteshoes Mon 17-Dec-12 22:15:42

I'm afraid it's a bit of a sleep deprived blur, but from what i can remember, yes, that's what mine was like. Nice people told me that some just don't sleep. Other people thought I was doing it wrong! She still doesn't seem to need that much sleep.

Welovecouscous Tue 18-Dec-12 02:16:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Loislane78 Tue 18-Dec-12 08:18:16

Have you considered dropping the bottle feed if its a fight and seeing what happens as doesn't sound like its working as a dream feed? Also 3-4 oz might be a full feed for many BF babies, the oz intake isn't massive like FF - check out Kellymom.

smile

monkeypuzzeltree Tue 18-Dec-12 15:40:50

Thanks for all your responses that this is normal. But disappointed that none of you have magic cures though! wink

We have tried doing without the bottle, it just brings everything forward an hour so I feed at 11,1 and then about 5, so doesn't help and I miss that block of early sleep 9-12.

Have thought about putting in own room but its really small room, no space for a chair so I'd end up going downstairs to feed in night.

Have had suggestions from MIL TO just offer him a bottle of water for the 2am feed , but he does feed pretty well so must just be hungry?????

Maybe Father Christmas will gift me a nights sleep!!

Loislane78 Tue 18-Dec-12 17:35:36

I wouldn't give water personally, i don't think BF babies need water top ups like that and if you're happy he is having a decent feed when waking, just go with the flow. smile

tiktok Wed 19-Dec-12 09:37:22

The water thing is a bit of a daft idea, though that won't stop people suggesting it smile

What is grandma thinking will happen to the baby's waking? 'Hm....I am awake. I would love a nice warm cuddly bf to get back to sleep and to fill my tum. But hang on, last night and the night before mummy gave me a bottle of nasty old water. She might do that again - I screamed and screamed when she did it because I really wanted milk. I'll not bother disturbing her now. It's not worth it.'

smile

Your baby sounds normal, and actually not especially wakeful - plenty of people would call that waking once in the night (counting the midnight and 5 am feeds as late night and early morning ones smile ).

Weaning is not known for making any difference to night times.

It's hard work, with 2 little ones, and I agree that your expectations are sky-high because of your first baby's sleep!

This baby is just as normal, but different, and it will not last forever. Sometimes, stopping fighting it makes it easier ....and this stage will pass anyway smile

Pootle78 Wed 19-Dec-12 10:11:10

I could have written this post myself monkey

Ds1 was and is a beautiful sleeper
Ds2 is the child from hell when it comes to sleep!
And all I get told is it's karma for having a lovely sleeping baby first time round but when I was awake at 11am, midnight, 1am, 2am, 3am & 4.30 on Monday I just want to poke someone in the eye for saying that!

Last night was 2.15 and 4.30 so slightly better, we're going to try and get ds2 in his own room over Christmas and see if it makes any difference.

A few wine wine may help you both monkey !!!

Spiritedwolf Wed 19-Dec-12 10:37:03

Like Tiktok, I don't think your baby is unusual, certainly seems to sleep more than my 4.5month old, and I know other mums who are still every 2 hours or more.

www.isisonline.org.uk/ Has information on normal, healthy sleep patterns in babies.

I'm sorry that its a bit of a shock after having a a baby who was happy to have such a long night sleep from so early on. I think its just that every baby is different, you're not doing anything wrong. You could stress yourself out trying different methods, set ups and routines, but I think its a developmental thing, when he's ready to sleep he'll sleep. I don't think its the ebf v ff thing either, as I know ebf mums whose babies give them a full night's sleep! (lucky sods grin ) (and some stopped doing that once they started solids!)

Accept this is who he is right now, and no doubt he'll change his pattern just as you adapt to it. Are you getting enough rest and support? Make full use of DP and family to catch up on some sleep/rest during the day/weekends etc.

monkeypuzzeltree Wed 19-Dec-12 21:26:22

Thanks ladies, very good to know that I've not cocked up and just got it wrong with this one and its normal!!

Having said that again disappointed that none of you have magic cures or pointing me in the direction of some magic potion from boots!! Hey ho, this too shall pass!

Did laugh at ticktok comment - my MIL has lots of helpful comments, you'd be amazed! Drink of water is one of the milder ones- she's pretty certain that the reason he feeds so much is because I held him so much when he was very sick at 3 weeks in hospital ..... Errrr no, think its just because he's peckish! Smile and nod!
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: