Talk

Advanced search

4wk old with bad trapped wind - any suggestions?

(10 Posts)
RecklessRat Sat 15-Dec-12 11:01:40

Our 4wk old EBF baby is really suffering with trapped wind. During feeds she starts curling up and grimacing, grunting, etc, in obvious discomfort /pain and this happens when she's put down to sleep too. She often wakes up after an hour with a fart.

We spend a long time winding her during and after feeding on our knees and over shoulders and rubbing her tummy to try and expel air at both ends.

Is there anything else we can do? Are there any foods I shouldn't be eating that might be causing problems in my breast milk? We eat a healthy balanced diet, no junk, 3 meals a day. She's a good feeder and putting on weight well, no other problems.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

SamraLee Sat 15-Dec-12 12:27:31

My baby suffered really baby with this too. Sometimes we found Infacol helped, other times I thought it made it a little worse. Just make sure if you do give your baby Infacol to get up the wind after you feed her, or else it will really give her a tummy ache. The thing that I found did help was doing a bicycling motion with her legs. After trying everything though, she would still groan and grunt in her sleep and let out farts. Tummy massage helped a bit too, especially the "I love you" part. I hope this helps. A lot of people find wearing their baby in a sling helps bring up the wind, my baby was too small to be in a sling, but we just held her upright while she slept and this seemed to take away her pain when sleeping. It's no fun when you can see your little one in pain. I hope some of these suggestions work for you smile

Sleepybunny Sat 15-Dec-12 16:54:13

Having a similar problem with my 4week old girl. A warm bath helps her, massage and skin to skin.

But otherwise I'm clueless! Don't think she likes the taste of infacol, she screams when I put the first drop in :-(

RecklessRat Sun 16-Dec-12 19:39:31

Thanks Samra - we'll try the bicycling legs. How long did it last for with your baby? Am hoping she's going to grow out of it.....

Sleepy - other than what we're already doing, I don't think there's much else we can do. It's hard, isn't it.

bigyellowfish Sun 16-Dec-12 19:55:58

You could try lying her on her back, and fold her knees onto her chest and tummy and push down gently, so you squeeze the wind out. Like a squeaky toy! A bit like bicycling legs probably.

I think anything that calms you both down can help, that's why bath and massage is good.

Rikalaily Sun 16-Dec-12 20:07:11

I always did what bigyellowfish suggests with mine, it works brilliantly. Even if you do it when they are not so windy you can usually get a trump out! If pushing down gently doesn't get quite the right angle you can fold thier knees up in the same way but then sort of roll them back a little until the knees move up towards thier nose.

It looks a bit uncomfortable for them but it's not, tiny ones are extremely flexible and they don't mind it at all, especially the relief they get from the wind the stubborn wind.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 16-Dec-12 20:08:44

Definitely pushing legs back and bicycle legs. It's hard to imagine such big pumps can come from such a small baby!

RecklessRat Sun 16-Dec-12 23:12:47

Thanks everyone - will try the pushing legs back trick, sounds good.

dylsmimi Mon 17-Dec-12 07:13:55

We are having similar problems with Ds2 he's only 12 days old. I've found that rubbing his tummy in a circle helps but you need to rub clockwise so the wind follows their digestive system.
Sitting in his car seat soothes him & he sleeps well if in the car & after. I can only assume its because its a curved angle not lying flat.
Good luck

dylsmimi Mon 17-Dec-12 07:15:23

If she's ebf could you try a different bottle?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: