Talk

Advanced search

Blood (?) in 17 week old EBF nappy?

(9 Posts)
Clumsasaurus Thu 13-Dec-12 21:20:35

I first saw it Tuesday tea time, wasn't 100% sure so didn't worry too much.

It happened again today, same time of day and much more obvious that it was blood. Just a little bit streaked in and bright red... Am I mistaken?

Any suggestions? DS is absolutely fine in himself, feeding, cheery etc...

NeilsBoar Thu 13-Dec-12 21:54:18

Try googling for urate crystals and see if that looks like what it is (can indicate slight dehydration) should be more like 'brick dust' than blood, but if you've not seen it before it can look like blood - if you're not sure though I'd be seeing a doctor, its generally pretty easy to get an appointment for a baby under a year old...

CommanderShepard Thu 13-Dec-12 22:00:08

This will sound strange, but how are your nipples? If there's damage and broken skin it's possible for your son to have swallowed a bit of your blood and for it to have gone straight through, so to speak.

Jo178 Thu 13-Dec-12 22:01:29

We had this around this time last year with DD when she was only a couple of months old. We rang the out of hours doctor who advised us to take her to A&E. After time in hospital and numerous tests it turned out it was allergic ulcerative colitis caused by a dairy allergy.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 13-Dec-12 22:10:57

Sometimes explosive poos can cause wee analysis fissures...

mrswoz Sat 15-Dec-12 21:12:15

Hi clumsasaurus, I had similar trouble with ebf DD a few weeks ago, she was aged about 6 weeks at the time. Few small bits of blood in a poo on one occasion, phoned NHS direct who said go to a&e, DD was kept overnight for observation and found to be fine, the Dr who saw us on children's ward said if she had seen the nappy (I kept it) when we were in a&e she would have sent us home!

The tiny bits of blood continued randomly for a week or so after then just stopped! I was told it was most likely either a reaction to antibiotics I was taking (for infected section scar) or dairy in my diet. I practically cut out dairy altogether for about 5 days, then re introduced it slowly and now eat normally again. my GP was not convinced it was the dairy and the blood did stop not long after I finished my course of antibiotics...so basically, I still don't know what caused it! But DD was like your baby, cheerful, feeding and well in herself.

Sorry that's not much help but I wanted to share my experience, I found it was a very worrying time - considering how often you need to change a small baby's nappy, it's not nice to be feeling worried about what you might find inside it!

SolomanDaisy Sat 15-Dec-12 21:17:24

This happened to my DS at about the same age. Took him and a nappy to the Dr and it was just a little tear from explosive pooing! He was fine.

Clumsasaurus Sun 16-Dec-12 01:28:43

Thanks mrswoz for sharing, I did wonder if we should have gone to A&E but it sounds as though not...

Thanks too Solomon, it hasn't happened again, I'll try and remember the 'explosive' part and see if it ties in should it happen again.

Thanks everyone :-)

leedy Sun 16-Dec-12 12:06:53

Same happened to my DS1 at the same age, also diagnosed as a little tear from explodey poos. Freaked me out a lot at the time but it never happened again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: