Talk

Advanced search

3 weeks in - issues with one boob! Please help.

(6 Posts)
RarelyUnreasonable Thu 13-Dec-12 08:01:18

Feeding has been going well with DS. He's gained 1 lb 6oz since birth and pain is minimal - just on latching sometimes.
My right boob feels back to normal and rarely leaks (I wear breast pads and this one always feels dry). No nipple pain, although it's a bit pinker on the end - I assume as we're still getting used to it.
My left boob leaks and sprays. It feels engorged and although the nipple looks ok, it often feels like it's on fire (between feeds, it's fine when feeding).
I alternate breasts for each feed - not religiously perhaps, if I forget. And he probably does feed more from the left boob as we cosleep and i pop it in when he's hungry. DS doesn't feed for long - 5 to 20 mins and is on a 3hr feeding cycle (I feed on demand, he seems to have a natural timetable!). He does have a slight tongue tie - hv helpfully said to ask GP for advice at 6 week check. He can move it up and down and side to side, but not in and out of his mouth.
Any advice very welcome!

fryingpanalley Thu 13-Dec-12 08:22:07

Sounds like you're doing brilliantly.
No doubt an expert will be along in a minute, but I'd just say from my personal experience that it is totally normal a) to have boobs doing different things! b) to feel strong sensation (especially when cold) and engorgement in boob(s) at three weeks- for me this settled down both times after about 10-12 weeks- ie quite a while before my boobs felt "back to normal".
An expert will talk through the symptoms of thrush/ mastitis which also causes breast pain but I also feel that the strong sensation/ ache of normal boobs is something I and my friends all had but weren't warned about.

fryingpanalley Thu 13-Dec-12 08:24:54

Sorry my post related to breast pain but rereading your OP I'm wondering if you were talking about nipple pain?

mcsquared Thu 13-Dec-12 08:28:01

No advice but reading with interest as I have the same issue! Left boob seems to oversupply and DS always chokes on it. Also is two cup sizes bigger than my right!

RarelyUnreasonable Thu 13-Dec-12 08:40:49

Thanks for the reassurance frying - yes, it's a burning nipple rather than boob. And mc, glad I'm not the only lopsided one!

McBaby Thu 13-Dec-12 09:51:13

I would suggest it could be some minimal nipple damage on one side rather than the other from the tongue tie. My 'slight tongue tie turned out to be a very severe one! And have always had one nipple red and sore compared to the other. Get checked by a lactation consultant or ENT doctor as many HVs and GOs don't know what there looking for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now