Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby not wanting to feed

(7 Posts)
Sparklesandglitter Thu 06-Dec-12 17:15:01

For the last few days my dd has not been drinking as much milk as usual, so far today she has had 15oz including her night feed, she will only take one more 5oz bottle maximum today then she sleeps till 3.30am ish. She usually has around 27-30oz per day (inc. 1 night feed) she had also been sleeping a lot more and being cranky when awake. She is a bit snuffly, could this be a reason why? What should I do, when I offer her a bottle she cries and pulls away. She's 15 weeks, I will probably see my HV tomorrow but any advice/experience is appreciated! Thanks

PacificDogwood Thu 06-Dec-12 17:20:19

Babies drink and breath through the nose at the same time, so if she has a cold and cannot breathe while feeding that will bother her.
Also if she has a cold she might well just not have much of an appetite. Think about how you feel when you are under the weather: the last thing you need when you don't feel well is somebody making you eat, don't you smile?

Offer her smaller, more frequent feeds.
You can try saline nasal drops before feeds to make things easier for her (your HV can prescribe them).
At 15 weeks she is no longer at risk of dehydration at the drop of a hat, so don't worry too much. If she is weeing and pooing, then she'll be fine and soon catch up when feeling back to normal again.

By all means, get her checked out if you are worried. Hope she is better soon.

Sparklesandglitter Thu 06-Dec-12 17:51:54

I know it is a really stupid question but how do I know if she had a cold? And how do I treat it? She will still happily take a dummy if that helps?

PacificDogwood Thu 06-Dec-12 18:26:39

Sore throat maybe?

Her cold is no different from your cold, not much to see or treat tbh. If she is grumpy or hot (in babies sometimes with cold hands and feet) Calpol can be a wonderdrug in perking them up for a while.
A common cold takes about a week or just over to go away, she might be clingy and upset, nights can be disrupted. It is hard when baby is ill, I know that.
If you are not sure what's going on, get her checked out in RL like you are planning to.

Sparklesandglitter Thu 06-Dec-12 18:37:01

She's just settled after tons of tears and is snuggled up asleep but shes still only had 3oz of her bedtime bottle so only 19oz all day and she won't feed again till tomorrow if she doesn't wake sad I will try and see my HV tomorrow and ill put some olbas baby near her cot thank you for the advice ps how do I detect a sore throat in a baby? Is it just guess work?

PacificDogwood Thu 06-Dec-12 18:44:00

You try to get a look, not easy.
Or sore ear if she still likes sucking dummy? That can help with pressure in the ear. She might prefer to be upright over night... many a night I've sat with an asleep baby on my chest.
Olbas oil is a good idea.
Good luck.

Sparklesandglitter Thu 06-Dec-12 20:30:23

Well, we got some saline spray and once we had used it she drained a bottle and fell asleep so sounds like a cold I reckon! Thanks for the advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now