Talk

Advanced search

Switching Formula

(5 Posts)
Roopoo Thu 29-Nov-12 16:41:00

I have just switched from SMA comfort milk to Cow and Gate Comfort.
This was due to DS being constipated on SMA

Changed the milk last night and DS has cried most of the day. No problem taking milk but very unsettled in himself.
Do you think I have made him ill swapping the milks?
He is fine being held but hasn't really napped and screams when put in his moses basket.

Ahh crap I thought I was doing well being calm earth mother type after horrific PND with DD but now feel a bit rubbish and anxious.....

amazingmumof6 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:26:17

how old is he?

I'd doubt that you made him ill, but he might dislike the taste.

I'd be tempted to "cut" sma with c&g, so he can get used to change gradually. also offer him cooled boiled water

Make sure he's burped properly.

And sorry to ask, but are you sure you using the right amount of formula?
if each scoop is just slightly heaped, you could be adding a whole scoop or 2 more than needed...(sorry, just checking!smile)

Also being unsettled could be a total coincidence and he's just started teething or whatever.

Fairylea Thu 29-Nov-12 17:31:14

Bit off topic but ds had terrible reflux and we tried all the comfort milks and all of them made him very constipated and unsettled. We put him on sma gold, the normal one, and surprisingly enough he was like a different baby! I've heard other people say the same too. Just makes their poo green for a bit which is apparently nothing to worry about.

Also are you giving him gaviscon by any chance? As not sure if you know but you shouldn't use the comfort formulas with gaviscon.

Mono1 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:39:19

Our DD has has real stomach/bottom problems for a fortnight now. When we saw the Dr last week we were told that "it's just something in the different formula that doesn't agree with her- try another one". As it turns out she had developed lactose intolerance following a tummy bug but the Dr seemed happy to advise us that different babies had different reactions to different formula IYSWIM. Trial and error seems to be required when switching to a new formula.

Roopoo Thu 29-Nov-12 18:53:28

DS is 4 weeks old
Started on SMA gold. As he was constipated and windy HV suggested comfort milk.
SMA comfort doesn't seem to have helped with constipation so have switched to Cow And Gate

Only other thing he has is infacol.

DD was reflux and don't think he has that.

Ive read that infacol can cause constipation so have cut that out today.

DH thinks he is unsettled due to constipstion but not sure how to help him. We are getting the occasional dry pellet but no proper poo.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now