Talk

Advanced search

Worried need advice - mastitis meant temporary formula feed

(9 Posts)
CandyPop Tue 27-Nov-12 22:16:39

I've been diagnosed with mastitis in my left breast and then had puss coming out of the nipple. I've been advice to stop feeding from that breast for a couple days and for puss to clear ( I'm on antibiotics to clear te mastitis).

I've did two consecutive feeds on the good breast but had to give her her first formula feed at 3.30pm today sad as right breast just ran dry.

Her next feed was on the breast again but again right breast is empty for her 10.30pm feed. So we will give we another formula before bedtime.

I have been expressing the infected breast.

My questions are;

By expressing will this keep my milk supply up ?

Do you think this would cause an issue if I go back to exclusive breast feeding tomorrow? (Mastitis breast doesn't appear to be puss like anymore and when expressed normal milk comes out but just want to give a clear 24hrs before re feeding her?)

I'm just a little anxious as I really want to keep up with the breast feeding

Thank you in advance !

5madthings Tue 27-Nov-12 22:25:01

who told you to stop feeding from the affected breast?

as far as i am aware that is bad advice! i had mastitis and puss coming out when bfeeding ds3, i continued to feed, i also combed my breast and expressed whilst in a warm bath to.help.clear the mastitis.

your breast will be emptied best by your baby!!

i was told that my baby may possett a bit due to the puss but actually ds3 was fine.

5madthings Tue 27-Nov-12 22:26:27

tiktok will be able to advise but also look on kellymom and lalecheleague websites xxx

cheesesavory Tue 27-Nov-12 22:27:42

Who said to stop feeding? With mastitis you needs to keep draining the breast as often as you can and the mist efficient way to do that is feeding.

CandyPop Tue 27-Nov-12 23:09:23

I was told to keep feeding but stop if there was puss by doctor and a midwife?! So I did stop this morning from the infected breast but have been expressing to drain it. Confused now ....

5madthings Tue 27-Nov-12 23:18:18

no imo they are talking bollocks. the puss may make your baby a bit fussy but it wont harm your baby.

check on kellymom website but as far as i know its fine! xxx

CandyPop Tue 27-Nov-12 23:37:29

Thanks! Right going to resume breastfeeding then smile minor step back.... Hopefully the two bottlefeeds today won't affect the milk supply too much.

It's amazing the conflicting advice you get from health professionals . I was diagnosed with it yesterday and gp sent me home with antibiotics. Fever almost went down immediately. When I suspected puss I thought I get a second opinion ( as my initial thought was the same as you to keep feeding), when I called labour ward , midwife told me to go to a&e???? That stressed me a lot cause I didn't want to take baby who is only 18 days old to germ infested area but we didnt have any formula at home . Also the guilt of having to go in formula only 2 weeks in.....

Finally hubby and I decided against their advice and thought the antibiotics are doing its job and has bought down my fever and to see how we go in the morning . Turns out right decision as fever has gone and just waiting for the course of antibiotics to work on the mastitis.

Sorry long post but just a rant!

stargirl1701 Tue 27-Nov-12 23:48:35

I was also told not to feed from my infected breast when I had infective mastitis. I was hospitalised for a week with it on IV antibiotics. The lab analysed the milk from the infected breast and advised not to feed baby with it.

It was horrible. It came out in strings of green cottage cheese. After the meds started working it came out pink in drops but if left to stand for 5 minutes congealed into a lump. Gross, gross, gross. I kept expressing till the lab gave the ok.

MarzipanAnimal Thu 29-Nov-12 14:43:15

I've had pus with mastitis and was told to keep feeding. DS was fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now