Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Refusing breast at nearly one

(10 Posts)
ClaireandGeorge Mon 26-Nov-12 14:31:14

My son George is a couple of weeks off one. He has been on one feed a day for a while now and seems to have decided he doesn't want it anymore. May be because he's been a bit poorly. Hasn't fed for two days now, he has had solids and cows milk. How long would it be before my milk dries up? Anything I should be doing or expect?

Nigglenaggle Mon 26-Nov-12 21:51:58

I stopped way before you (and had cut down to one feed a day for some time) and it still took 2-3weeks for my milk to dry up completely. I didn't have any problems stopping as far as engorgement etc goes, it seems you tend not to if you finish later on. Nice age for him to wean himself really sounds like its worked well for you.

BranchingOut Mon 26-Nov-12 22:00:48

Wait and see. He may resume in a little while - tis probably a nursing strike.

Kellymom has some information about all this.

MinaP Mon 26-Nov-12 22:03:54

It is difficult to say how long the milk will last if baby refuses breast, try to pump and dump to continue supply if you want. You can get breast pumps from your local children centre. I breastfed my baby for 11 months till I went back to work part time. I was giving him a night feed and sometime morning the first two weeks after that I gave him a I little feed every 3-4 days and I still have some milk now 2weeks later. So if it is a small phase it won't affect the supply massively. I replaced breast with bottle gradually so people can give him comfort while I was away. The bond we have is still there, I'm still his favourite person. So, if carry on breast feeding Great! If not, that is still fine too. You can still bond during playing kissing tickling.

BranchingOut Mon 26-Nov-12 22:04:26

Or, if you would like to stop now - you can gently begin changing the pattern around when and how you do things. For example, don't sit down in feeding position at a feed time - but make sure that you offer lots of cuddles and physical contact in other ways!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 26-Nov-12 22:05:46

Do you want to continue? If so, try googling kellymom nursing strike or contact one of the Bfing helplines, have you got the numbers?

ClaireandGeorge Mon 26-Nov-12 22:16:25

I don't know what I want to be honest. Sort of think I should take the opportunity to wean him now as always said would wean around one but then I feel a bit rejected and sad.

Tried feeding him again tonight and he point blank refused again. Offered him a cup of cows milk and he took it no problem.

I have generally just gone with him on what he wants up till now

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 26-Nov-12 22:31:10

Why not read the info on kellymom anyway and then have a think about what you want tonight?

Nigglenaggle Tue 27-Nov-12 21:30:10

Aw he isnt rejecting you, just growing up a little and choosing a different food choice. I stopped some time ago, but still feel the most important person in his life smile It just takes a little adjustment smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 27-Nov-12 21:47:00

Could be that niggle but it could just as easily e a nursing strike.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now