Talk

Advanced search

DS is on 43oz a day!!

(5 Posts)
SwivelHips Tue 20-Nov-12 16:55:17

I've just counted up what DS has in a day and its approx 43oz....I've read for his age it should be 30 to 32 oz (he 24 wks). It also said that they should be dropping feeds at this age (he hasn't). Being not the best sleeper when he wakes I tend to give him either a bottle or a boob and he's content with that for another few hours at least.
Should I be trying to drop these night feeds? (He's mixed fed) He is a sturdy chappie on the 91st centile...

Spiritedwolf Tue 20-Nov-12 18:31:46

How do you know how much he's getting whilst breastfeeding? Or is that the amount of formula/ebm and nursing is on top?

I don't think there's a problem with feeding when they wake in the night, my ds is ebf and always nurses when he wakes - I've no idea how much milk he's getting. If you think he's eating for comfort at night then maybe it would be best for these feeds to be nursing, he's less likely to get more than he needs because he has to work hard for it and sleep likely overcomes him. Or maybe a slower teat if its bottle feeding?

I suspect that you are over estimating the amount of breastmilk he takes though (unless its all expressed) you can't simply multiply what you get when you express by the amount of time he nurses for.

I know its said you can't really over feed a breastfed baby. I don't know how that translates to mix feeding.

Spiritedwolf Tue 20-Nov-12 18:34:47

Might be helpful for you to go through the feeds he has in a day and how you came up with 43oz. Then somone with mix or bottle feeding experience could give their opinion on whether it might be better to remove a bottle.

Spiritedwolf Tue 20-Nov-12 18:41:11

p.s. you've said he's on the 91st centile. Its normal for some babies to be this size and isn't a worry in itself. Has he been gaining centiles rapidly? Is his weight out of proportion to his length?

I guess I'm asking if there a reason why you've counted up his feeds right now, are you worried?

SwivelHips Tue 20-Nov-12 18:58:18

I guess I've only done it today because I had lunch with a friend with a baby same age, same centile. She mentioned the 32oz which made me check how much DS takes. When I totted it up I was a bit shock, all his day feeds are ff now, plus his first feed of the night. He bfs from approx 2 am to 7am - to me it feels like he comfort feeds throughout the night. His ff are in excess of 32 oz plus whatever he takes in breastmilk, difficult to quantify as he comfort feeds in the day also. I guess my main issue is really due to lack of sleeping, but with weaning in a couple of weeks everything is going to be up in the air again anyway. I'm getting used to my sleep deprived addled brain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now