5 month old ds in hdu, advice please?(30 Posts)
am en route to hdu at specialist hospital, ds hasn't fed since 9 last night, have expressed at 10 am today and will do again once settled at hdu
he is currently stable but don't know what's wrong, they've said i can't feed him yet till they know more, possible respiratory problems too.
he keeps making signs he wants to feed which is awful as i can't respond - what can i do to try and ensure we can carry on bf (providing he is well enough of course)? He has been ebf till now, no formula or solids.
am a total mess after blue light to a+e this morning, feel so helpless at mo - is there anything i can do / should be doing??
Delighted to hear that your DS is on the mend!
I am so glad your DS is on the mend and that you got him to hospital on time. How frightening for you all.
I am sure the feeding will be fine. I restarted BF after 8 weeks of not feeding/ expressing a drop so I doubt you'll have any problems.
That's great news and I'm sure your milk is helping too.
I still remember when dd2 was in hospital she was still feeding at 18months and so was the other baby across from us. Doctor walked in when we were both feeding and said how wonderful extended breast feeding was and how great it is when babies are sick.
Your doing well, keep going x
thanks all, just came back to update, was allowed to feed eventually after 3 days, once we got a negative result for metabolic disorders (which was a massive relief!)
he latched on straightaway and has fed well since then, has also improved and is getting more rest because he isn't starving hungry. They've identified a problem with one of his kidneys so he is staying in for more tests + scans, but have just left hdu due to him improving so much.
the kidney problem caused a serious infection + they have said we got him to hospital just in time so it was a very close call. Hopefully he is now on the mend and we can deal with the underlying problem.
thanks Halfcups - sorry you had to go through so much, but glad it worked out for you + your dd - hopefully i can continue now until ds wants to stop
Hi there I hope your baby is feeling much much better now. Just to let you know that when one of my dd s was 8 weeks olf she was in HDU for 3 days and then on isolation for a further 8 days. She had to be fed thru tubes and I was so stressed I could only produce a few teaspoons of milk. She had been ebf til then. I allowed her to be given formula and for 5 days that s what she had with a few drops of breast milk. As soon as she could I had her back on the breast, got lots of help with the hospitals breast feeding practioner and she ebf until she was 17 months old. Get help, get rest and before long it will all settle down. I wish you both well xxxx
discombobwhatsit - just wanted to send my best wishes- hope your DS is ok and you have been able to resume feeding.
it is just the worst thing to have them look at you and want feeding when you can't oblige. Consultant said no to feeding today in case it overloads his system, hoping the results come back negative + i can feed tonight
they are doing iv antibiotics in case its an infection, any other treatment will depend on results, consultant has asked for them to be rushed through so hopefully will get an answer by end of day. He seems ok in himself now, all vitals still stable
It horrible seeing them hungry, sugar water does help though
although i wanted to kill the nurse who was giving him it every 2 minutes
What treatement are they giving him other than the fluids?
Don't dump anymore, ask for hospital to fridge it, I'm sure they will, just remember to label and date it.
I only dumped mine because it was toxic
thanks everyone, I've managed to settle him back to sleep now, they let me give him drops of sugar water which he lapped up.
I've got my own electric pump here but have been dumping the milk, will save the next lot in case they want to use that, thanks for the tip Sirzy
And Mrs, i think my singing would upset him more ;-)
consultant due soon so we'll see what they say
Hope he is on the mend soon.
You may find that they want to give him expressed milk first as that way they can monitor how much he has at a time to ensure he is getting enough but not too much. (if he is having respiritory problems then too much milk can make breathing harder)
Hi disco, so sorry you're going through this and your poor little DS Just to say that my ebf DD has been admitted to hospital for oxygen and tube feeding twice, once at 8 weeks (meningitis) and once at 4 months (bronchiolitis). On each occasion she didn't feed from me for 48 hours or so.
Your supply is well established 5 months in but try to express as much as you can anyway - the hospital should be able to lend you a hospital grade pump and all the kit. Both times when my DD was discharged we had a period of 24-48 hours where she fed like a newborn but then things went back to normal after that.
Good luck and wishing your DS well x
thanks Welove, I don't feel like a great mum at the mo - just went to ds and its made him more upset, he can't understand why I'm there and not picking him up + feeding him
it made his heart rate + resps go up so I've left him again, I really hope this isn't going to destroy his trust in me. I'm going to push to feed him today, surely it can't be that bad for him? And he's in the right place if anything happens.
I want everything back to normal
thanks lisad, that's reassuring to know it can be restarted after such a long break. That must have been heartbreaking for you to be away from your dd for so long.
I've managed to get some rest, just doing first express of the day, then will resume the bedside vigil, hope today brings good news
Just loads of skin to skin where possible, express off what you can.
I expressed and dumped for three weeks as I was unwell and away from dd. I was lucky if I got more than two pumps a day off but once home we curled up at home and restarted. She feed until she was 2 years old, so please don't panic.
Hope ds is ok and they work out what's going on ASAP.
thank you Mrs, yes he is on a drip, iv fluids etc, into a femoral line as that's the only place they could get a line in after 2 hrs of trying, they also did a line into his thigh bone first as they needed to get fluids in when he was first admitted - very scary stuff + hard to watch such a tiny baby go through it, i would swap places in a heartbeat.
am going to try + get some rest now before i get up to express and check on him.
thanks again for your thoughts
That sounds scary...is he on a drip? I can't blame you for just thinking about feeding him! Poor baby. He will be able to soon...sending positive thoughts to you and baby too.xxx
some indicators of infection but also blood shows possibility of metabolic problem so they want to get metabolic results back before they will let me feed him, as it could affect it if he has an underlying condition
it is so hard because he obviously wants to feed, i just hope that he will be able to feed if they let me
What's the problem Discombob? Do they know yet?
still stable but have been told can't feed for at least 36hrs wile waiting for test results, very hard when he keeps making feeding signs
will just keep expressing + hope for the best, I just want him to get well now, I guess feeding is the least of my worries at the moment
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.