Talk

Advanced search

nipple always slightly lipstick-shaped

(7 Posts)
ThreeWheelsGood Tue 20-Nov-12 03:48:30

I've finally got to the stage where the latch doesn't hurt on either side and I'm dreading feeding less. But after feeds my nipple is slightly lipstick-shaped and I keep reading this is categorically wrong. Am I damaging myself? have I got into bad habits? Baby is 4 weeks old and exclusively breastfed.

YorkshireRose12 Tue 20-Nov-12 04:02:51

Your nipple being lipstick shaped after feeds is primarily a sign that something is not quite right with your LO's latch. However, this is not really a problem in itself if feeding is going well for both you and your baby, ie there is no pain or nipple trauma for you, feeds are not taking an unreasonable length of time and your LO is not constantly feeding (although at 4 weeks it would be normal to be feeding frequently, with periods of cluster feeding), and your LO is gaining weight well, having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and is alert when awake.

Secondly it could be a sign that your LO has a tongue tie (and the pain that you were experiencing could indicate that too) - has he/she been checked for one?

If none of these things apply, your LO may just grow out of this as he/she grows and their mouth gets bigger - that is what happened with my DS after his latch had been improved and his tongue tie cut.

Well done for getting this far!

3plus2 Tue 20-Nov-12 07:59:29

My nipple was like that after each feed on my left side but it also hurt so think it was the latch. But it somehow just righted itself. It looks fine now not all funny and pointy shaped. I would say that was at about 2-4 weeks. We are 15 weeks in now.

ThreeWheelsGood Tue 20-Nov-12 10:21:14

Thanks for the replies - YorkshireRose, DD is definitely getting what she needs (plenty of wet/dirty nappies! And gaining weight), I will stick at it and see if it improves with time. Really trying every feed to get the latch right.

Breastfeeding consultant a couple of weeks back dismissed tongue tie immediately as I only had soreness/cracked nipple on one side, the other was fine.

Qdos Tue 20-Nov-12 15:01:01

i asked breastfeeding support worker about this as she had put lo on and ensured I had good latch but nipple still came out like lipstick- she said it must have been permanently damaged from the first few days of incorrect latching and it wasn't anything to worry about as long as it's not so painful now...

whoopwhoopbib Tue 20-Nov-12 19:41:42

My DD had a posterior tongue tie even though only my right nipple was lipstick shaped, it also had a white line running across it. My left nipple had a piece missing due to the way she fed but was still normal shape.

I had 3 midwives and 2 breastfeeding support workers tell me she did not have tongue tie before a lovely breastfeeding co-ordinator spotted it straight away from my symptoms and watching DD feed.

Maybe you should ask for a second opinion as I was told that the lipstick shape was a classic symptom.

whoopwhoopbib Tue 20-Nov-12 19:49:10

Oh also my DD fed with tongue tie for 4 weeks and my nipple has gone back to a normal shape again so maybe Qdos you should also ask for a second opinion as I was constantly told that my latch was 'brilliant' 'perfect' 'correct' etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now