Talk

Advanced search

Toddler will only drink breastmilk

(10 Posts)
Fiftyshadesofposset Mon 19-Nov-12 20:39:23

EBF 15 month old DS has never really taken to drinking anything other than his mother's milk! He eats reasonably well, but only ever takes tiny sips of water (often with a bit of a cough and splutter) from his cup. We've tried a whole range of cups including doidy, straw etc. I do worry that he isn't getting enough fluid in, especially as I would like to be able to leave him for the day/night on occasion. Is the only way to reconcile this situation to stop breastfeeding? Does anyone have any tips?

Does he like cows milk?

Fiftyshadesofposset Mon 19-Nov-12 20:43:06

He'll happily have eat with his cereal, but not really as a drink..

Would he have water from a bottle? Or sports cup - would he be interested in picking one he likes? Matalan do some good ones.
I'd leave him for a while if you think hell get dairy from food and milk from cereal etc.

Fiftyshadesofposset Mon 19-Nov-12 20:50:06

He'll will only have tiny sips of water..the nursery have commented on how little he drinks compared to others.. My husband is convinced that if I stop BF he'll suddenly be able to gulp down lots of water/cows milk. I'm not really worried about his dairy intake as he always has cows milk on his cereal and goes crazy for yogurt.

MikeOxard Mon 19-Nov-12 21:11:53

Dd was a bit like this, not that extreme though! She drunk more when offered squash rather than water, and more from a sports type bottle than a cup. We tried cows milk and milkshake too, but she didn't go for those at all.

Cies Mon 19-Nov-12 21:46:59

Well your husband is right- if he isn't bf then he'll need to replace that source of liquid with water/cows milk. But that doesn't mean to say you should stop bf, unless you want to for other reasons. If ds is weeing enough and pooing like normal then all's well. Breast milk is a great source of fluid for him.

EauRouge Mon 19-Nov-12 22:03:14

My DD1 was like this. It didn't bother me really because I knew she was hydrated enough, but she got given one of those novelty curly straws and that was a big hit.

tory79 Mon 19-Nov-12 22:32:08

Ds is 14 months, still bf and hardly drinks any water most days - maybe 1/4 of a tomee tippee beaker in total. And he only has 3 bf usually, and they are not massive ones! So I was always worrying about his fluid intake. Until we went to Florida last month, and he drank loads of water, on top of the normal bf. So I have decided just to chill - he drank when it was hot and he needed it, so I feel safe to assume if he's not drinking its because he doesn't need it.

He does eat quite a lot of fruit as well, so gets a lot of liquid from there too.

coldcomfortHeart Tue 20-Nov-12 09:56:01

tory79 makes some good points, ie he will drink when thirsty and that we get fluids from other sources like fruit, veg, jelly etc. DS2 is like this, he is 17m and only plays around with water, pouring, splashing, occasionally some will go in.

As he is hydrated enough and happy enough I'm not too worried.

Just keep presenting him with the chance to drink. Some are slower than others...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now