Talk

Advanced search

Teething and biting tip! Your advice gratefully received!

(4 Posts)
monkeypuzzeltree Mon 19-Nov-12 12:20:00

DS is 4.5 months and over the weekend suddenly produced two bottom teeth. He was pretty chilled about it until during the night. He pulls on and off and worse of all when he's got stressed because he's hungry he starts sucking and then BITES!!! Ouch!

I've had friends telling me this is when they stopped, MIL with usual helpful comments that it will hurt him less if he takes a bottle??! I was aiming for 6 months before stopping, it's a miracle that I got here anyway. Thing is I didn't expect him to produce teeth this early!

I've tried rubbing teething gel on before a feed but that seems to make him more mad!!

Any magic cures! Thanks

amazingmumof6 Mon 19-Nov-12 13:22:23

teething rings can help him and you can try a nipple shield (Avent), temporary solution for you.

you can gently tap his lips with your finger and say a firm no when he bites, some babies get the message.

no reason why you should stop bf if you can teach him not to bite - u can bf even if they have teeth (loads of people do yo 1 year and beyond, with babies having full set of teeth almost!),

no idea about what MIL meant about "hurt less with bottle" - if you bottle feed it won't hurt you at all, and neither breast nor bottle hurts him!

you can try giving him a little calpol if in pain, (30 mins before feed)
I find the dentinox gel or calgel better than bonjela (again not just before feeding!)

on the other hand if you want to stop bfcoz you are in pain and he's fussing that do that - it's what it is.
and well done for bf him for 4.5 months!

HearMyRoar Mon 19-Nov-12 16:21:04

With dd I simply stopped feeding for a few seconds as soon as she bit and was extra careful to make sure she latched well. After a few days she realised that all it achieved was a swiftly removed breast and an annoyed mum. She quickly got the hang of covering her teeth when she fed and stopped biting.

Welovecouscous Mon 19-Nov-12 21:38:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now