Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

One-off ff at 7 months for EBF/weaning baby: which formula

(22 Posts)
HenriettaChicken Mon 19-Nov-12 10:20:40

Morning all. My DS is 7 months old, has always bf, and for the last month has started on solids. He's really easy-going regarding feeding - has never had issues taking bottle/teat BUT usually feeds to sleep (on me).

I haven't expressed in over a month because I injured my hand and just haven't been dexterous enough, plus it's been quite stressful and I am a little run down.

On Thursday evening DH and I are going out for a (very rare) night out. We'll be out from 3pm till midnight, and my lovely parents are babysitting (we'll all be staying at their house). I only have 2 bottles of frozen bf, which is nearly 2 months old, so should probably just chuck.

I can't express enough between now and then, so will be looking to use formula for the first time, as a one-off, when my parents look after DS. I'm actually not too worried about DS taking it: as I said, he's pretty chilled and pretty flexible.

BUT I know nothing about formula. Which one would you recommend for a bf baby, to taste the most similar, and be less of a shock for him (oh, and to have decent ingredients too)? Does he need regular formula, or follow on millk?

I know nothing about this!

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Mon 19-Nov-12 10:21:41

If the milk has been in a proper freezer then it will be absolutely fine to use.

Chunkychicken Mon 19-Nov-12 10:31:20

You can keep frozen breastmilk in a proper freezer (rather than freezer compartment of a fridge) for 6mths, as bingo said.

I used aptamil for my DD when I needed a 'just in case'. I bought the ready made cartons as the powder can only be left open so long & I wouldn't have used it. Up to you which you give him (follow on or regular), as follow on is for 6+mths but I don't think its important for a 1-off.

HenriettaChicken Mon 19-Nov-12 10:45:35

Yep - it's a proper freezer! That's something at least. It won't do the whole evening (he feeds like a beast come 6pm!) but it'll be a good start.

Good advice re: ready made rather than powder. Thanks! And I'm assuming you'd all agree with formula over cow milk for the under ones?

KatAndKit Mon 19-Nov-12 11:24:53

don't chuck the frozen milk as the others have said it will be fine. make sure you feed him right before you go out - even if he only has a short top up it will help.
I use the aptamil cartons for the odd formula feed now and then. My baby doesn't seem to mind them. I stick with stage one formula rather than follow on milk. definitely not cows milk at his age for a milk feed (a bit in cooking is ok). The ingredients in formula are regulated by law so very little difference between the brands. Having tasted them all, I thought Hipp tasted the nicest, however my baby seems totally not bothered by aptamil, which is easier to buy in local convenience store.

AntoinetteCosway Mon 19-Nov-12 11:27:12

My midwife told me Aptamil is the most similar to breast milk. (Though I've also heard they're all the same!) DD liked it, and also Hipp Organic first milk.

ZuleikaD Mon 19-Nov-12 12:41:37

The frozen milk will be fine. My HV also told me that Aptamil is the closest to breastmilk. If you get a carton then you don't have to open it if it's not needed.

KatAndKit Mon 19-Nov-12 16:03:04

aptamil is no "closer to breastmilk" than any other formula. Shows that their advertising has even conned the health profession. They are not really supposed to market formula with claims about being closest to breastmilk but that doesn't seem to stop them doing it.

HenriettaChicken Mon 19-Nov-12 16:21:01

What does their claim mean, Kat? Does it mean closer in ingredients/nutritional value or closer in taste?

Have managed to express a small amount today - so pleased! Will keep trying each morning till Thursday, and will also buy the pre-mixed formula (of whatever description but I'm getting the impression Hipp Organic and Aptimil are the most popular here).

You're all so knowledgeable - I love MN!

TurkeyDino Mon 19-Nov-12 16:24:46

Aptamil and cow and gate are actually exactly the same and sold by the same company. Even the wording on the packaging is the same! Anyway yes to ready made cartons or you can get a 1 litre bottle of ready made if more feeds are needed. Have a great time OP!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 16:26:47

I would forget formula and give cows milk tbh.

showtunesgirl Mon 19-Nov-12 16:30:04

What Starlight said. Cow's milk is fine so long as it's not their main source of milk. Seeing as it's a one off, I would just give that.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 16:31:59

And give it in a cup and don't faff with sterilising! smile

Hth

HenriettaChicken Mon 19-Nov-12 16:40:25

Ooh now I'm confused! He has cow's milk with weetabix, which he loves, but I thought it wasn't recommended in a cup.

I'm over thinking this, aren't I?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 16:41:51

So give it to him in a bowl if it bothers you grin

HenriettaChicken Mon 19-Nov-12 16:42:22

And thanks, Dino - we are going to a gig in Camden like all the young trendy types do! Hope nearly middle-aged mum and dad don't stick out like 2 sore thumbs grin

HenriettaChicken Mon 19-Nov-12 16:43:18

Touché, Starlight. It's the same tummy, isn't it.

I need to chill out. blush

TroubleAndFyfe Mon 19-Nov-12 16:46:54

Cows milk just shouldn't be their main drink before 12 months as it isn't high enough in nutrients. For a one off it would be absolutely fine. smile

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 16:47:38

Aw, it's scary leaving them for the first time for more that a quick pop out but he'll be fine. Even if he refuses anything but a bit if water, he'll be fine and just make it up when you get back.

Hope you have a lovely time.

HenriettaChicken Mon 19-Nov-12 17:04:31

Thank you all!! grin

SamSmalaidh Mon 19-Nov-12 17:08:35

It makes me angry that even midwives and HVs fall for Aptimal's marketing and do their advertising for them! You should be able to trust HCPs to be informed and unbiased hmm But I guess that's why formula companies put millions into marketing and targetting health workers...

HoratiaWinwood Mon 19-Nov-12 17:17:38

The Aptamil claim has been not only false but illegal for years, yet is still held as gospel by HCPs. The power of advertising!

I agree that you should get cartons, and of whatever's easiest. If they have some in your parents' corner shop, get that so they can top up if necessary.

Some brands do bigger cartons for multiple feeds (which are ok open in the fridge for 24h iirc), or you might prefer several small cartons to reduce waste. They have a very long date so can stay with grandparents for months at the back of a cupboard.

Have a great time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now