Talk

Advanced search

lack of uterus contractions while BF/BF queries

(11 Posts)
forpitysake Sun 18-Nov-12 21:27:25

I had my 2nd CS 1 week ago (planned).
The 1st was Em.CS and I felt quite traumatised by the whole thing that I gave up BF after 5 days with bleeding, cracked nipples and a lot of pain while feeding.
This time I've managed to keep going with tons of nipple cream and top-up feeds. I'm not going to beat myself up this time if I feel I've had enough, but my recovery this time is so much better this time I feel I can cope better and give BF a better try.

I'm a bit worried about not having the uterus contractions I'm supposed to be having. I'm not expecting to be back in my normal clothes for a while yet, but I'm doubting I'm ever going to get there if my uterus doesn't start doing something.
I don't want to stay looking like this <wails>
Is it normal not to get them?
Would it be because I'm still taking the diclofenac and paracetamol?
Or could it be that I never really got period pains anyway??

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a good latch for BF after lots of reading and checking pictures etc but is it normal to not 'like' the sensation of baby sucking?
I find it really 'uncomfortable' and I don't get no sensation - is this normal?
I do the count to 10 thing to see if it feels 'better' from the 1st suck by the time I get to zero and it mostly does and I feel I can continue through it and there's a definite pain difference if she sucks on the actual nipple.

I'm hoping someone with some experience will help me if possible - thank you! smile

BertieBotts Sun 18-Nov-12 21:33:10

I don't know about the contractions thing, but some people FF from birth and they don't have a post-baby tummy forever so don't worry! smile The painkillers might be masking them I suppose. I was only on ibuprofen and it felt like v. early labour to me - no c-section just stitches.

Also it can take a while to get used to the sensation. I think there always is one - it shouldn't be totally unnoticeable, it should be pain free after that initial ouch of latching, I'd describe it as a gentle tugging/pulling feeling. I guess that it's likely that some people just don't like it.

forpitysake Sun 18-Nov-12 21:58:06

Thanks for the reply Bertie
Yes, it is a bit like a tugging feeling but even with a seemingly good latch its bordering painful still - just definetly a lot less painful than when she gets my nipple or that 1st few sucks! Ouch!!
I'm hoping that I'll get used to it quickly.
I had read that fair-skinned women have more sensitive skin too but maybe thats a myth!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 18-Nov-12 22:10:45

No idea about contractions.

But the BF stuff sounds spot on. I still (at 19 months) get to a point after a while where I've had enough and I need DS to stop. It's not painful or uncomfortable as such, just suddenly I can't stand it any more! It's always been that way. The ok bit varies in duration; we got through the cluster feeding and the early bit when it takes forever! But there's always been times where I've just had to stop, right now.

I thought it was just me!

Oh, and I only realised the pain at the beginning of a feed had stopped when he was 5 weeks. It may have stopped earlier,I just had a revelation in the car one day!

ThreeWheelsGood Sun 18-Nov-12 22:11:07

I don't like the feeling of it much either, though I'm pretty certain i've got the latch right now after initial problems. Can't find out anywhere how it's meant to feel though!

VisualiseAHorse Sun 18-Nov-12 22:40:02

I topped up from day 3. Didn't get the contractions until I was 90% BF about 2 or 3 months later.

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 18-Nov-12 22:43:35

Without being too gross, are you bleeding more when you feed? I did in the first few weeks and I put this down to the uterus contracting- although I am not a medic so could well be wrong!

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 18-Nov-12 22:45:03

Also- a week is still very early!

ThreeWheelsGood Mon 19-Nov-12 00:38:24

Yes, it's normal to bleed more lochia when you feed.

AngelDog Mon 19-Nov-12 03:32:19

IIRC the midwives said the contractions would last about 48 hours after delivery, so I think they should be over by now. Certainly mine didn't last more than a couple of days. FWIW midwives prodded me and said my uterus was 'fully contracted' but my belly was HUGE. It's gone down quite a bit now (5 weeks).

whatsoever Mon 19-Nov-12 05:43:14

My DS is 5 weeks & I never felt the uterine contractions despite increased lochia when I bf and my uterus visibly contracting over the first 10 days or so. He is my first and I was told the after pains are very mild and get stronger with each baby you have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now