Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why doesn't my EBF 14 not sleep long?

(12 Posts)
3plus2 Mon 12-Nov-12 11:52:28

She will sleep like 15/20 mins the most during the day and 2-4 hr gaps at night ? My OH is wondering y I get nothing done during the day it is driving me potty ! Shud I give in and bottle feed ? She wants to fall asleep on the breast and stay there ! All day!

3plus2 Mon 12-Nov-12 11:53:00

Wen I say 15/20 min I mean naps and that's only about 2 times a day

VisualiseAHorse Mon 12-Nov-12 11:55:21

How old is she? 14 weeks or 14 days?

3plus2 Mon 12-Nov-12 11:57:23

Weeks x

3plus2 Mon 12-Nov-12 12:01:31

She also seems to want to eat/suck on everything ! But I think she may b teething?

BartimaeusNeedsMoreSleep Mon 12-Nov-12 12:07:11

I think 14 weeks is roughly when EBF DS started to refuse to sleep during the day unless he was latched on (before then he was fine to nap in the sling or to fall asleep on the boob and be transferred to his cot).

So I would try to get him to nap in the sling, pushchair etc. in the morning and by mid-afternoon just give up, settle down on the sofa surrounded by food, drink , books and my laptop and let him sleep 3 hours latched on.

I honestly thought it would last forever but a few weeks later he started napping elsewhere, although it took until he was 6 months to have naps longer than 35 minutes (I was exhausted).

oh and tell your DH you're not doing nothing. You're taking care of your baby and her needs. I read an excellent book called "What mothers do (especially when it looks like nothing)" which says exactly that and the author explains that even when it looks like mothers are doing nothing, they are always doing something, for example when holding your baby you're subconsciously checking they're not too hot, that they are alert/sleepy and showing your baby that you are there for them etc.

14 weeks is still tiny. (though I didn't feel like it at the time)

FuriousRox Mon 12-Nov-12 12:11:27

My ds is 16 days old, and four hours at night would be lovely!

In the day are you giving your dd both sides, even if it means stripping her down or nappy changing to keep her interested and actively feeding? You probably are, but just thought I'd mention it. I'm no top-up expert but as long as she is getting her fill on the boob at each feed I don't think formula would necessarily change her daytime sleep pattern.

Have you tried putting her in a sling and getting on with whatever it is your dh thinks you ought to be doing...? Or have you tried telling dh to keep his beak out? - that might be your easiest solution..!

3plus2 Mon 12-Nov-12 12:11:57

Yes she is the same I will put her in her cot then she starts crying by 20 mins arrrrrgh my OH jus says y dont u so this /that y she is sleeping? I tell him she doesn't sleep long enough! But he won't have it sad I'm sure he thinks I'm watching Jeremy Kyle all day !

BartimaeusNeedsMoreSleep Mon 12-Nov-12 12:33:30

Oh that's so annoying! I remember that up until 3 months I would manage to get at nap in the day. DH was very surprised when I said one day that I hadn't napped in weeks because DS just would not sleep long enough or anywhere but on me! (I then learnt to sleep sitting up - not comfy!)

My mum also said to me that DS needs to learn to sleep in the cot, until she came to stay (fortunately not with us!) and saw that every single time I put DS down he would wake in 10 minutes, whereas if he slept on my lap he would sleep way longer and wake up in a much better mood (I just had to be careful that he didn't overheat and took a layer or two off him before snuggling down on the sofa with him).

Definitely tell your OH that there is something called the 4 month sleep regression and that it's normal for babies to stop sleeping so well. There's another one at 9 months so he needs to get used to it!

Doesn't he see at the weekends that your baby needs to be attached to you to sleep? You are not being lazy, you are taking care of your DD.

Oh and tell him you're lucky your baby already know the difference between night and day (i.e. sleep longer periods at night). Not all babies know this and some sleep longer in the day than at night!

jjuice Mon 12-Nov-12 12:33:56

Is she having a full feed?

midori1999 Mon 12-Nov-12 13:34:04

She will probably sleep longer if you put her in a sling to sleep, Moby wraps are good for little ones. Even if she doesn't sleep, you'll be able to get things done.

3plus2 Mon 12-Nov-12 16:54:56

No she doesn't like being too restricted and my back kills sad she is really long she is in 6-9 clothing size already ! I think she is taking a full feed she takes about 10 mins but usually only takes one side at a time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now