Talk

Advanced search

Green, sometimes frothy poo for 2 weeks. 17 weeks old, breastfed. When should I worry?

(4 Posts)
cleanandclothed Sun 11-Nov-12 19:37:52

DS had a tummy bug 2 weeks ago, very runny nappies every hour or so for 48 hours. Previously poo allways yellow. Now has been green for 2 weeks, and 4-5 poos a day.

Have taken sample to drs, waiting for results. Have googled and read kellymom. Still not at all sure whether I should be worried or not about any illness or intolerance, or what I should do, want to be prepared before speaking to dr tomorrow. Any thoughts?

MolotovBomb Mon 12-Nov-12 12:43:22

Your poor baby!!

Green poo indicates that there is probably bacteria in his gastrointestinal tract.

I doubt that he would have an allergy to your milk, but it might be worth asking about.

The thing is, tummy bugs hit babies hard - they last for ages. As long as he doesn't have a temperature and is generally taking his milk, then it should be fine. It just takes a while for the bacteria to be fully gone from his system.

Hope he gets well soon!

cleanandclothed Mon 12-Nov-12 13:05:49

Thank you. This is what I think - I should think it will clear up within the month - it is just that now it has been 2 weeks I would feel irresponsible if I didn't start getting it investigated!

MolotovBomb Mon 12-Nov-12 14:03:47

I know what you mean. My DD1 had a rotten tummy bug when she was 10mo that lasted for 3 weeks. The change in texture (and smell!) of her poo was dramatic. But unless something was discovered that was directly causing the problem, doctors are reluctant to prescribe antibiotics/medicines to 'treat' it.

It's great that your Drs have a sample from him as they'll know exactly what's causing the problem.

It is difficult, but try not to worry if he's fine in himself x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now