Talk

Advanced search

Stopping bf!

(14 Posts)
sadsong Sun 11-Nov-12 08:01:41

I would add this is my 5th baby so im surprised i dont know my own answer?! So my little one is 13.5 months, he's at nursery full time, so bf was down to a morning feed and a night feed anyway. These were a good half hour feed each.

I've just had norovirus on top of permanent
anaemia and I've got to go into hosp in 2
weeks for an op. Usually I stop the day after their first birthday but I think because it's probably my last baby I'm feeling a bit sad about that part of my life going away. However I've got to stop I'm really very ill and run down emotionally and physically.

Thursday morning was the last feed. It's now Sunday morning. I'm still full to the brim with milk and it hurts. I can't remember whether to give ds a sneaky feed or whether to express or grin and bare it. I don't want mastitis on top of everything else. I really don't want to stop but I must. So a hh and a few suggestions please. I would add ds although will drink cows milk or formula quite happily is cross with me he can't snuggle in.

blueberryboybait Sun 11-Nov-12 08:13:43

I would express a little off in the bath to help with the pain for a few days and it should ease.

TheHairyDieter Sun 11-Nov-12 08:15:35

You can get tablets from the doctors to dry it up, if you need to.

sadsong Sun 11-Nov-12 08:15:38

Thankyou blueberry, I'd forgotten about the bath. <off to run one in now> grin

sadsong Sun 11-Nov-12 08:17:36

Can you hairy? Blimey, I don't think they were invented 15 yrs ago when I embarked on bf. Im surprised I'm struggling with it tbh. I can't remember stopping being v hard before but maybe it was and I've just forgotten! blush

Grumpla Sun 11-Nov-12 08:20:25

Express a little bit just to relieve pressure.

Cold cabbage leaves in your bra!

Sage tea? Minging but meant to help dry your milk up more quickly. A dozen or so saga leaves in boiling water, you can either add honey to it or wait til it cools right down and just neck it.

sadsong Sun 11-Nov-12 08:29:07

Sage tea? I knew you clever people would be able to teAch the old dog a new trick!

Not sure I can stomach sage just yet after 3 days of permanent vomiting but I will try.

Maybe it's my brain making in hard for loss of my youngest baby.

wewereherefirst Sun 11-Nov-12 08:32:15

Cabbage leaves are good, I wouldn't express as it makes the body kick start milk production again which prolongs the agony.

IWipeArses Sun 11-Nov-12 08:32:45

They don't do those tablets any more.

Sorry you've been so unwell.

sadsong Sun 11-Nov-12 08:56:57

I did think tablets would just be far toooo easy! <signs>

sadsong Sun 11-Nov-12 09:51:07

Oh dear, I've completely buckled! Wheres my will power gone? confused

blueberryboybait Sun 11-Nov-12 10:00:43

How about cutting out 1 feed for now and then slowly cut down the other feed time every few days until he only has short feed then cut that one out the day you go into hospital?

sadsong Sun 11-Nov-12 10:17:54

Blueberry I think that's a very good idea. I've coincided this really badly with 2 days I've been solidly at home with him too. Making it harder as I feel guilty (stupidly I know)! One feed in 3 days in vastly cutting down, surely the less and less I feed the smaller the supply will be <hopes> I'm just a bit of a weak and feeble mess currently blush

IWipeArses Sun 11-Nov-12 11:18:12

One feed a day won't take much out of you, you don't want to be stressing about it either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now