Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

He just sleeps

(13 Posts)
Doodlekitty Sat 10-Nov-12 22:55:00

My son was born early hours of Friday morning. All day Friday he bf'd no problem. We were discharged Friday evening and it's all gone downhill. Last night he fed for 2 hours (a bit on and off, but constantly wanting it). Eventually I worked out it was just the comfort he wanted. Today, every time he has wanted milk he has taken a few sucks then fallen asleep so he's not actually getting much at all. I've tried things like blowing on him when he gets sleepy or tapping his chin to remind him what he's doing but it does not really work. I'm worried he's not getting enough. We've had 5 pooey nappys today so I'm thinking he is but not sure. At clinic tomorrow and will ask about it but would like some advice sooner.

Fluffyfish Sat 10-Nov-12 23:03:28

First, congratulations.
I would perhaps call labour ward for quick chat with midwife who will be able to advise whether to get medical help or not. My dd was sleepy for first couple of weeks and didn't wake for feeds, in fact she went five hours on our first night home at five days old and I slept without realising I should wake her for food because in our case her sleepiness was symptomatic of being a bit poorly and losing nearly 20% body weight that week. But in other saws where baby is healthy it is fine. So take some advice. Also take temperature and remember in a teeny baby a low temp is as bad as a high one.

Above all, if you ate worried get checked out because doctors would rather see a dozen healthy newborns than miss one ill one.

Fluffyfish Sat 10-Nov-12 23:04:04

Babies, not saws. Bloody phone.

Loislane78 Sun 11-Nov-12 04:23:20

Is LO showing any signs of jaundice? Can appear quite quickly and makes them too sleepy to feed. Get advice but also lots of skin to skin, strip em off if necessary.

amazingmumof6 Sun 11-Nov-12 04:38:01

also check for tongue- tie!

could affect feeding badly, 3 of our kids had it , youngest 2 had a small op to release tongue

Doodlekitty Sun 11-Nov-12 05:24:15

Thanks guys. He's fed ok overnight. No signs of jaundice. Not sure how to check for tongue tie. Have kept close check on his temp. Skin to skin made a real differenence. Just trying to get him off for one last nap, but what an improvement. Will still feel better after we've been to hospital today though

Hyperballad Sun 11-Nov-12 05:32:03

Congrats!

I used to tickle his feet or gently massage his palms, that would usually stir him and get him suckling again.

But he's so new, your bound to have these little phases, try to stay relaxed as I'm sure they sense if you're worried.

I agree with the other posters to make a phone call just for piece of mind.

Oh and as you think of bits and bobs you are unsure of, make a note and ask them on the next midwifes visit. I always forgot so began writing my queries down!

WandaDoff Sun 11-Nov-12 05:36:34

To be honest Doodlekitty it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job & coping admirably already. grin grin

I was told that a newborn's stomach is smaller than the size of their fist.

Just let your maternal instincts guide you x

BreeVanDerTramp Sun 11-Nov-12 05:42:21

Congratulations! He sounds adorable.

Your milk will probably come in today or tomorrow which might make a difference. Have you got some nipple cream, Lanisoh was my saviour smile

Why are you having to take him to clinic, midwife should come to you and you should be testing!

Hyperballad Sun 11-Nov-12 05:47:52

Ooooo yes Wanda, that is a very good point!

I was told that up to 10 days old their stomachs are the size of a marble, then that increases to a large marble then that increases to a pin pong ball at about 3 weeks old.

It really reassured me that to start with just a few sips could fill that tiny little tummy, and it really gave me confidence.

I agree, you sound like you are doing just fine. smile

Doodlekitty Sun 11-Nov-12 05:48:15

Our midwifes don't do weekends so we could choose to wait till Monday or got to clinic on Sunday. Being all pfb I decided to go to clinic. So worried that he'll lose tonnes of weight or something.

I have lanisoh, it is my new best friend. I really want the breastfeedibg to work out, which I think is a large part of the battle

BreeVanDerTramp Sun 11-Nov-12 05:54:04

I don't know why I'm all angsty about clinic I met my midwife in M & S 3 days post partum, she was not impressed grin

I'm still worried about weight gain and precious third born, DD is a chubby 4 month old. BF is bloody hard work initially, but when it all comes together nothing beats a big booby smile during a feed smile

amazingmumof6 Sun 11-Nov-12 06:14:24

ask the midwife/ doctor to check for tongue tie

glad he was feeding better and of course congratulations!

you can also call nhs direct 08454647 or various breastfeeding helplines

good luck tomorrow

bree I also love it when they gently stroke the breast as they are suckling away, as if to say well done mummy, thanks for lovely milk, it tastes great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now