Talk

Advanced search

Formula intake reducing. Is this normal?? Sorry, long explanantion!!!

(2 Posts)
Dmum Mon 05-Jan-04 10:33:24

My ds is 8 months old and sleeping well. The problems have started recently with his formula. He was solely bf to 5 months, then I introduced formula in his food when I started weaning him. I then introduced two formula feeds during the day and bf in the morning and before bed. I kept this routine till he was 7 months and then switched him onto 4 formula feeds. He quickly lost interest in the mid-morning feed and I stopped this completely. His feeding routine is now as follows 3 formula feeds (1st thing, mid-afternoon and before bed), solids (1st thing, lunch and dinner). The problem is, he doesn't seem very interested in the formula any more. He'll take about 5oz in the morning, 1-2oz mid-afternoon and about 6-7oz before bed. He also has about 3oz in food, plus 2 fromage frais. This is nowhere near the 21oz recommended. I've tried moving feeds around, putting the formula in a cup, etc, but it hasn't made any difference. Maybe this is perfectly normal, in which case I'm stressing about nothing!! Any advice or suggestions?

Kyliebump Mon 05-Jan-04 11:12:17

Sounds fine to me - I understand the stress though as my DS never got anywhere near the 21oz either. From the figures you give, on a good day, your ds would be drinking 14oz as milk, then another 3 in food, so you're up to 17oz and then the 2 fromage frais, so you are probably nearer to the 21oz than you think anyway.

I managed to control my stress by reassuring myself that as long as I was offering him milk regularly (ie at the times that you are doing), then he would take what he needed. I would also offer water from a cup in between times, just to reduce my stress about dehydration - he never used to drink much, but it made me feel better about it!

If he is well and growing then try and relax!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: