Talk

Advanced search

Bf as contraception - reliable??! Slight panic

(25 Posts)
LandUnderWave Fri 09-Nov-12 19:51:05

Briefly - 9 week old dd is ebf but just started going longer ie 5-6 hours at night (very happy about this)
My periods not come back yet
Had sex last night no condoms (yes idiots I know)
But today I am quietly freeaking out that might get pregnant
Will be going to gp next week but meantime what do people think?? If no periods I can't get pregnant?? eeeek

RancerDoo Fri 09-Nov-12 19:57:25

Erm, you can get pregnant before your period comes back. It is ovulating that triggers your period to come, and you may not know you are ovulating.
For me bf would not be reliable contraception, since my period came back after around 3 months.
If you really do not want to be pg, you should go to the GP, but i don't know if you can take MAP when breastfeeding.
You probably won't get pg, so I'd be inclined to chance it this once and not do it again! (disclaimer, i am a teensy bit pg myself so might be feeling a little blase).

mosschops30 Fri 09-Nov-12 19:58:59

About as reliable as having sex standing up believing you cant get pg.

If you dont want to be pg i suggest you get the MAP asap

Pooka Fri 09-Nov-12 20:02:29

It's not reliable as previous poster has pointed out. But fingers crossed for you.

I couldn't help but notice that if you were pregnant, you could have 2 in one school year (if 9 week old dd born in September)! Wow.

But, as you were. Sure you won't be...

motherdaughter Fri 09-Nov-12 20:02:35

I don't mean to scare you but I know several people with smaller age gaps between their children than they intended by using bf as a method of contraception...

LandUnderWave Fri 09-Nov-12 20:07:33

Oh god. That's kind of what I thought. So bloody stupid I know. Ok getting MAP tomorrow and crossing fingers.

IWipeArses Fri 09-Nov-12 20:32:54

There's no way of knowing if you've ovulated. You're probably ok, MAP , POAS in three weeks and don't do it again. smile

Whojamaflip Fri 09-Nov-12 20:40:27

I took a chance when I was bf dd1 when she was just short of 5 mths old - the result is currently asleep upstairs - they just missed being in the same school year.

feekerry Fri 09-Nov-12 21:21:39

I'm quietly panicked too. Will test next week. My dd is 7 months, ebf and i haven't had a period. Haven't been too careful either and wasn't too worried but read loads recently like the post above lol

Gentleness Fri 09-Nov-12 21:28:40

I've conceived 3 times whilst breastfeeding.

BertieBotts Fri 09-Nov-12 21:31:43

Breastfeeding is not reliable contraception, especially after 6 months, if they start sleeping through or if you use any other BF substitutes, including expressed milk, a dummy or any water/juice etc (not just formula).

If you are going to use it as contraception then it's best if you've been charting your BBT for a while before pregnancy so that you're very familiar with your own cycle and patterns - even then though it's not foolproof.

Don't they go through this at the 6 week check any more? confused

feekerry Fri 09-Nov-12 21:35:30

Ye they did bertie. I just stupidly assume no periods means no babies. Anyways, more babies wouldn't be the end of the world lol!!!!

BertieBotts Fri 09-Nov-12 21:36:03

Haha grin

LandUnderWave Fri 09-Nov-12 21:38:52

No they epically failed to mention any of this at 6 week check
Did ask what wanted to do for contraception but want coil and long wait at family planning clinic
No chat re bfing at all
Hey ho
MAP then finger crossing it is

melliebobs Fri 09-Nov-12 21:39:19

bertie no they don't go through this proper at your 6 week check. I ebf wanted to discuss contraception and was told I didn't need it cos I was bf! This is off 2 different doctors. I don't trust gps at the best of times. Even less now!

ArthurShappey Fri 09-Nov-12 21:40:49

Is MAP okay to take if you are breastfeeding?

duchesse Fri 09-Nov-12 21:50:46

Yes, you can pregnant before your periods return. You ovulate a fortnight or so before your period (depending on your luteal phase) so perfectly possible to get pregnant before first period. It happened to me! (admittedly when DS was 12 mo rather than 2 mo but still...)

midori1999 Fri 09-Nov-12 22:06:44

LAM (lactation amenorhhoea method) is a recognised and reliable method of contraception, provided certain criteria are met. It's not just a case of breastfeeding = contraception. Studies show it is 98-99% effective.

But yes, you can get pregnant before your periods return.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 09-Nov-12 22:08:50

This would be the same way my friend ended up with two sets of twins in 11 months. They are all in Y10 now...

LandUnderWave Fri 09-Nov-12 22:10:38

Aaaaaaargh! Fuck fuck. Proper panic now. Ok. Map tomorrow map tomorrow. And breathe. Am so annoyed with self!

LandUnderWave Fri 09-Nov-12 22:11:22

Couthy- oh my god. Just oh my god.

BertieBotts Fri 09-Nov-12 22:23:06

At 9 weeks if you're EBF it's not that likely, so don't panic too much. Am shock that doctors have told people it's fine though!

feekerry Fri 09-Nov-12 22:26:50

Couthy, whilst more babies would be nice wasn't quite thinking two sets of twins lol!!

LandUnderWave Sat 10-Nov-12 08:37:22

Shit, not sure if can take MAP as had ectopic preg last year - does anyone know??

BertieBotts Sat 10-Nov-12 09:45:29

The pharmacist or GP will be able to advise when you go to get it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now