Talk

Advanced search

Advice please 12 week old baby ebf schedule?

(9 Posts)
Weekipper Fri 09-Nov-12 16:22:56

After a discussion with local nursery nurse I've been trying to lengthen the intervals between feeds. Until 3days ago my DD was looking to feed every hour for about 10-15mins. She does sleep 8.30-2/3am feed for 10mins then sleep till 7. The nursery nurse told me DD was snacking and I should try to extend the intervals gradually.

So with distraction we got to 2hr gaps, feeding for 15mins each side approx. But now she seems to fall asleep feeding and isn't taking naps like she did so is getting over tired.

I'm worried I'm just messing with what was a pretty chilled out baby who was getting her needs met or that this might work but not right now as she might be having a growth spurt. I'm so confused as I thought babies would eventually start going longer on their own?

ElphabaTheGreen Fri 09-Nov-12 16:59:25

'Breastfeeding' and 'schedule' are two words which really shouldn't be used in the same sentence, and 'snacking' shouldn't be considered a bad thing with breast feeding any more than it is with normal feeding. I'm sure you snack Christ knows I do since starting BFing so think about how you'd feel without them. Lethargic and grumpy maybe? Yup.

Nursery nurse is wrong. Feed your baby to the pattern that she requires.

PS My EBF almost 6 month old feeds hourly. Kind of like me grin

ElphabaTheGreen Fri 09-Nov-12 17:03:34

PPS As a further point, if you're spacing her feeds more during the day, she'll be getting fewer feeds, and the only time she'll then have to make up for that calorie shortfall is nighttime. In other words, she'll start waking up a lot more than once for a 10 minute feed! Just stick with what your baby tells you she needs or it could get ugly. smile

Weekipper Fri 09-Nov-12 17:57:25

Thank you. In my heart of hearts I felt this was not the way to go but as a first time mum who seems surrounded by combination or formula feeders, it felt like I was constantly feeding.
Thanks for the peace if mind.

Welovecouscous Fri 09-Nov-12 19:00:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

getagoldtoof Fri 09-Nov-12 19:22:09

Oh, your instinct was right i agree with the others. I have just got my boy on a schedule at 13 months. He would go for days just attached to me, and it could be disheartening seeing the steps others were making towards independence. Although the complete dependence of an exclusively bf baby does feel tough at times, it isn't forever and you may even miss the constant feeding (and cuddles) of these early days when your baby is walking around and playing happily.

MarzipanAnimal Fri 09-Nov-12 19:51:56

Bad advice from the nursery nurse IMO.
I worried a bit when DS was tiny and bfing loads that it might be creating bad snacking habits for the future (not that there's too much wrong with snacking on food but it's not great for teeth). But now he's a toddler he's happy with 3 meals a day plus 1 or 2 snacks, unlike some toddlers I know who are always pestering for snacks.
Go with the flow, especially as it sounds like things have been going well and she's a very happy baby

feekerry Fri 09-Nov-12 21:44:23

Agree with the others. Ditch all timings, routines and schedules. I used to worry as my dd fed pretty much every half hour in early days but kept with it and they do sort themselves out. My dd has always been a snacker as am i.

Loislane78 Sat 10-Nov-12 07:37:03

12 week old going 10 hrs at night with 1 feed?!! That's great and if you read the staying awake for night feeds thread there are several who would be v happy with that smile. My 12 wk old does 7-7 with 2 feeds of about 10 mins each and I'm super happy with that at this stage. Ignore NN.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now