Talk

Advanced search

Can I feed this to 11 month old?

(12 Posts)
carovioletfizz Fri 09-Nov-12 12:54:28

Hi there,
11 month old ds - he's 1 in 3 weeks - is breastfed and has never had formula or a bottle. He'll drink water from a beaker. I have to go away to a party tomorrow for the first time and he'll be with his dad for most of the day. I can barely produce enough expressed milk to cover the base of the bottle, do you think he could have a beaker of cow's milk as a one off?
Thanks!

Cies Fri 09-Nov-12 12:55:49

Yes, that'll be fine. Or you might find he just has water and solids and waits for you to come back. There's no guarantee he would drink the expressed milk anyway.

TanteRose Fri 09-Nov-12 12:56:39

Yes, as long as he's not allergic - he's nearly one so not far off the guidelines

amck5700 Fri 09-Nov-12 12:56:44

Of course he can, I wouldn't worry about it - do you use cows milk in his food/cereal? If not then I would give him a bit today to check that he isn't intolerant to it.

BikeRunSki Fri 09-Nov-12 12:57:58

I would, but I ff from much younger. Cow's milk won't hurt him, but is not nutricious enough as main drink until a year, so as a 1 off as part of a mixed diet i reckon it'll be fine. Happy to be corrected though.

amck5700 Fri 09-Nov-12 13:01:46

You could always buy a carton of ready mixed formula if you are worried about it though.

ChocolateCoins Fri 09-Nov-12 13:01:55

I'm sure it would be fine as a one off. Although if you are worried about it, you could always just buy a carton of ready made formula? Always an option. He might refuse milk altogether and just make up the bf when you get back.

ChocolateCoins Fri 09-Nov-12 13:02:33

X post with amck!

amck5700 Fri 09-Nov-12 13:03:05

grin

carovioletfizz Fri 09-Nov-12 13:04:17

Thanks so much for quick responses! That's great to know.

Wigeon Fri 09-Nov-12 13:10:42

Well, as the advice is that cow's milk is ok from 12 months, I can't see that there is any magic about the actual exact 12 month date. Both of mine had cow's milk slightly earlier than 12 months (and were both exclusively BF with no formula).

amck5700 Fri 09-Nov-12 13:34:45

When I stopped breastfeeding when I went back to work (about 5.5 months) they had formula milk to drink but I always made their weetabix or porridge etc with whole cows milk. I think the guidelines are that cows milk doesn't provide enough nutrition as a diet in itself but for a child already fully weaned with a healthy diet using it as an occaisional thing at this stage wont make a lot of difference - he will be getting the majority of his nutrition from his food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now