Talk

Advanced search

crazy bf- what does it mean?

(11 Posts)
bytheseaside Fri 09-Nov-12 10:43:48

Lo is 7 weeks (prem) and usually bfs really well, but periodically does this thing of madly shaking her head when trying to latch, at the start or also part way through a feed. doesn't look like she's trying to push off, just a bit frenzied and frustrated. it does look very funny, but I've no idea what it means. is it wind? (certainly seems to cause wind!) Is she struggling to get any milk out? Wish i could help her ....

Tincletoes Fri 09-Nov-12 10:45:24

I would guess she's trying to encourage a faster let down! Far more preferable to when they get older and realise twiddling your other nipple has the same effect (I'm looking at you, DD)

SarryB Fri 09-Nov-12 12:50:23

I'd agree with tincletoes - try massaging your boob before hand to help the milk start to flow.

amarylisnightandday Fri 09-Nov-12 13:04:33

Have you cut out caffeine? Dd fussed at the breast like that until I did - might be worth a try.

EauRouge Fri 09-Nov-12 13:10:31

It's unlikely that caffeine is the culprit, unless you drink a lot of coffee. Up to about 5 cups a day shouldn't make any difference, but if you want to try cutting it out then it won't cause any harm smile

bytheseaside Fri 09-Nov-12 13:18:29

thanks ladies! no, I've not had caffeine for several years now ... unless you count chocolate, I'm getting through lots of that the mo (and not the 70% stuff)
I will try the massage thing.

flipflopson5thavenue Fri 09-Nov-12 14:43:28

my DS did this around 10 weeks I think. Sort of passed my nipple side to side between his lips frantically, usually followed by frantic arm and leg waving and sort of arching backwards and doubling up. Was weird. He also used to latch on then yank his head backwards with nipple firmly clamped between his mouth.... I read on another post that one woman's baby would head butt her breast and yell at it! Odd little creatures :-)

bytheseaside Fri 09-Nov-12 14:45:16

haha flipflops that sounds like it! Yes, perhaps its just normal baby oddness ...

magoosmom Fri 09-Nov-12 14:48:01

my DS used to do that, drove me mad! I didn't do anything about it, just carried on, like you he had phases of it and then would return to normal.

TeaandHobnobs Sun 11-Nov-12 05:00:11

Do you mean shaking her head from side to side as she hovers over the nipple before she latches? DS did this early on (8 weeks prem) - drove me bananas! grin He'd also thrash about, then stick his fist in his mouth instead of latching. I asked the LLL group leader about it, and she just suggested resting the nipple on his cheek and he'd find his own way there eventually.

He stopped doing it at some point, but I can't remember when confused

Hyperballad Sun 11-Nov-12 05:19:28

Hello!

Another one here with a crazy baby! Mine does everything as described above from time to time with the addition of growling!

He does the wierd shaky head thing and growls!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now