Talk

Advanced search

Formula help?

(8 Posts)
WeeSooty Thu 08-Nov-12 22:21:11

Hello

I have a 4 (nearly 5) week old DD. I had planned to breastfeed but due to horrible birth and no real support in hospital I am using formula.

The problem is I can't find any real info on how to formula feed!

She is currently on 4-5 oz at 4-5 hour intervals. I am mostly trusting my instincts and not forcing it down her if she isn't interested. She has put on weight fine smile

At the moment she is sleeping soundly after an irritable evening where she seemed to have a sore tummy and wouldn't settle. She was due a feed around 9pm-10pm but I don't really want to wake her! She normally wakes when hungry, am I ok to leave her for longer than 5 hours? And if so how long?

Any help appreciated, sorry if this doesn't make any sense, she is sleeping on me and I have major baby brain!

LST Thu 08-Nov-12 22:29:02

My DS slept through from 6wo. IME they wake when they are hungry. I never woke him up to feed.

LST Thu 08-Nov-12 22:29:18

Congratulations btw smile

WeeSooty Thu 08-Nov-12 23:33:29

smile thank you!

She's sound asleep wee soul. Guess she will wake when she's hungry. Loving the sound of sleeping through from 6 weeks! Fingers crossed! grin

LST Fri 09-Nov-12 06:33:47

It was a solid twelve it was about 10-6 but still good. He slept 12 at about 9 maybe 10 wo. But because we didn't put him down until 9.30 he was sleeping until nearly 10 am every morning!

Good luck with your little one x

Fairylea Fri 09-Nov-12 06:36:47

I've formula fed both of mine. I've always fed on demand and not to a schedule. And I've never woken to feed. As long as they are putting on weight etc everything is fine. Both of mine started sleeping through between 9-12 weeks. No idea if it was anything to do with formula or not !

SarryB Fri 09-Nov-12 12:57:14

I only woke to feed during the first week, then after that I'd let him sleep!

Sounds like you are doing well. Don't force the bottle, and try to get as comfy and cosy with baby as possible during feeding. I often see mums bottle feeding with their babies on their knees facing them (make sense?) rather than a normal cradle hold. Hold baby as if you were breast feeding to get loads of snuggles smile

Oh, and congratulations!

WeeSooty Sun 11-Nov-12 01:09:03

Thank you so much everyone. You've put my mind at ease smile now for some sleep filled nights! (Fingers crossed)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now