Talk

Advanced search

choking 1week old baby and green poo?!

(7 Posts)
Izzybuzzybuzzybees Wed 07-Nov-12 17:19:38

I've been feeding my 1 week old baby and today his poos are green. I've tried a search on here but as I'm on my phone it won't let me open them properly

He feeds for a long time and comes off breast where I then offer next breast but he doesn't always take it as he is asleep.

He has a gunky eye and also chokes when in breast occasionally where I have to sit him up bolt upright and rub and pat his back as he seems to stop breathing. I asked midwife about choking this am and she just said I must have fast let down.

Anyone any advice please??

exBrightonBell Wed 07-Nov-12 18:22:19

Hi Izzy - congratulations on your little one smile

I had the green poo thing with my ds when he was a similar age. We spent ages looking things up on the Internet and worrying, before eventually deciding that it was ok. As far as I know it's only if they stay green for a while that there might be a problem. We only had a couple of green poos before they returned to the normal mustardy colour.

Re the gunky eye - I presume you're wiping it with cotton wool and cooled boiled water? Some people also say that breastmilk wiped in the same way over the eye can also help.

Finally, I think the coughing and spluttering when feeding is also quite common. Tiny babies just aren't very experienced at breathing and can get confused! It gets better as they get older.

HTH

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Wed 07-Nov-12 20:11:34

Thank you for you're reply smile

I think at this stage I'm worrying over the wee things. Last night I'm sure I was posting cos he kept us up all night...surely that's expected in a newborn!

I'll keep an eye on his poo and hope it resolves itself.

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 07-Nov-12 20:33:46

I'm going to beat mawbroon to this one and say choking, coming off the breast during feeds and green poo can be signs of a tongue tie.

drcrab Wed 07-Nov-12 20:46:01

Gunky eye - you can try pressing or running gently on his tear duc and it should open up.

mawbroon Wed 07-Nov-12 21:39:14

Agree with Elphaba that tongue tie needs to be investigated by someone who knows what they are doing.

some more info here

elvislives2012 Wed 07-Nov-12 23:31:18

I saw a BFing counsellor today who said green poo was a sign of a fast digestive system. Asing as it doesn't persist and baby is well, she said it can be normal. I'm no expert tho- just passing it on!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now